• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

What is the difference between the 3 dates in my EXF metadata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill.fischer5

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi The three dates I am referring to are: "Date time Original", "Date time digitized" & Date Time". in my Metadata panel under EXIF.

I am adjusting the capture time on some photos from a vacation where the times were not changed on the camera or the iPhone did not update to the time zone change, I need to correct this to get pictures from 3 different Camers to be correct so the pictures will be in the order as taken.

Can someone explain the difference and where each of them effect my catalogue?

EXIF:DateTimeOriginal is when the shutter was pressed. This is the primary field LR reads to get its notion of "capture date".

EXIF:DateTimeDigitized is when the image was rendered in digital form. For digital cameras, that should be the same as EXIF:DateTimeOriginal. But for scans of analog images, EXIF:DateTimeOriginal should be set to when the shutter was pressed and EXIF:DateTimeDigitized to when the analog image was scanned into digital form. LR displays this field but doesn't let you change it.

EXIF:DateTime is when a conforming app last modified the image or its metadata. LR reads and displays that field but does not update it (contrary to the EXIF standard).

thank you for the explanation. : So EXIF "Date Time". is basically a useless field? Or wil it tell me when I modified an image in a different editor like Aperture?

As for scan's I can change the capture date of the print I scanned to the actual date I shot the image. Now it will be in the correct place in my date sort order. I will still be able to know when I did the scanning by the Date time digitized. Is this correct?

EXIF:DateTime is mostly useless. A few apps update it when they modify an image, but many don't (including LR).

I will still be able to know when I did the scanning by the Date time digitized. Is this correct?
Only if your scanning software sets EXIF:DateTimeDigitized (many don't). You can set it yourself using the free Exiftool utility or the Capture Time To Exif plugin (which uses Exiftool).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back