• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module What is the character limit for a keyword in LRC & Mac photos. I will be importing from my Mac photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill.fischer5

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
v10.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
When I import my Mac photos into Lightroom I do not want to loose my album's. I am putting keywords in each of he photos in an album with the Prefix "ALB_' then the album name which can get very long. I then plan to create a collections for each album from the keywords.

1. Is this a good approach?
2. where can I find the character rules for Lightroom and Mac keywords?

Lightroom Classic comes with a plugin to migrate an iPhoto Library to LrC The Plugin does not work on the newer Photos library. Lightroom Mobile does have a migration tool to Migrate the Photos Library to the Cloud preserving Albums and syncing Lightroom (cloudy) to Lightroom Classic will bring those albums into Lightroom Classic as Collections.

To answer your question about Keywords. The Keyword field is very long and will include all of the keywords as a list. Keywords are actually keyword phrases. "Mary had a little Lamb" is a keyword phrase and is acceptable for Lightroom. I don't know how long the field length is for all of the keywords, but I expect that it is at least 2048 characters. and may be as long as 65536( 2 to the 16th power).

Lightroom Classic comes with a plugin to migrate an iPhoto Library to LrC The Plugin does not work on the newer Photos library. Lightroom Mobile does have a migration tool to Migrate the Photos Library to the Cloud preserving Albums and syncing Lightroom (cloudy) to Lightroom Classic will bring those albums into Lightroom Classic as Collections.

To answer your question about Keywords. The Keyword field is very long and will include all of the keywords as a list. Keywords are actually keyword phrases. "Mary had a little Lamb" is a keyword phrase and is acceptable for Lightroom. I don't know how long the field length is for all of the keywords, but I expect that it is at least 2048 characters. and may be as long as 65536( 2 to the 16th power).
Thank you Cletus: My Mac photos are in the new Apple Photos on Mojave (because I still have Aperture). My wife uses the same apple ID on her computer on Catalina. There are over 16,000 photos and 717 videos in our Icloud liberary. Both our IMac's are less than 2 years old. Would it make sense to try to sync with Lightroom (cloudy) and then to LRC with that number?

Also. after all that syncing will I have full resolution originals in LRC?

Lastly, will photos taken in modes such as portrait, live, Pano mods come through?

There are issues between Lightroom Cloudy and Lightroom Classic. One is that the 20GB plan can’t hold all of your full size Apple photos Another is (I almost forgot) how keywords are treated differently in each product.
Here is a You Tube Video that describes the method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vToqw6OdIuI

You mention Aperture. Lightroom Classic has a plugin to migrate Aperture Libraries directly to Lightroom Classic. Is this a possibility?

Full size images uploaded to the Lightroom Cloud can be sync’d full size to Lightroom Classic. Full size images originating in Lightroom Classic get sync’d to the cloud as a smaller size proxy file. These proxy file do not count against your 20GB storage limits while images sent by mobile devices are full sized and do have to fit inside your storage plan limits.

Apple does not care how many devices connect to your icloud photos storage as long as you are using the same user ID. So your wife’s computer should not factor into the problem at all since everything syncs to the Apple iCloud and back down to your master Apple computer.

The same holds for the Adobe Cloud images. You can connect to it any number of mobile devices and Lightroom for the PC, but you can only sync one Lightroom Classic catalog file to the cloud.

There may be some size limits on panoramas but Lightroom can handle all filetypes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The built-in Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in is quite buggy, with lots of people reporting problems over the years (including me). The main problem is that it slows down dramatically after a few thousand photos (it uses an inappropriate "n-squared" algorithm), so if you decide to try it, split your Aperture library into smaller libraries of no more than 5000 photos each. A number of people have reported that the Avalanche app works very well for importing from Aperture -- unfortunately it doesn't (yet) support Apple Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back