• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

What is the best way to straighten a street light with a conical form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
What is the best way to straighten a conical form, e.g. a street light? It is quite hard to find the middle line to position a guide line.

E.g.:
nxB7jgD.png

To get (a line of) the grid in the useful position is too inconvenient. It would be good if one could postion a (or two) vertical line in the middle (to the left and right) of the object.

Yes, me too (because I do not know another way), yes, very difficult, respectively hard to decide what is straighten and what is not.

Yes, me too (because I do not know another way), yes, very difficult, respectively hard to decide what is straighten and what is not.

Due to perspective parallel lines (lampposts) will converge on a vanishing point. If you vanishing point is somewhere above the lampposts, the all lamp posts will lean in toward the vanishing point. Try “Guided” transformation with several lamp posts. If a single vertical line does not solve your sense of uprightness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, I will try that, thank you.

"Straighten" does not mean to make a 'curved' subject 'straight'.
In Lr-Classic jargon "Straighten" means to 'Make Vertical in the image.'

You will need to 'Warp' in Photoshop to get that "conical" pole 'straight' :)

Sorry, I do not want to get conical or curved lines straight but the object itself.

In Lr-Classic jargon "Straighten" means to 'Make Vertical in the image.'
Yes, that is what I want. The question is how to achieve it the easiest way.

Thank you very much for the tutorials. Very helpful.

It appears the auto and level buttons mostly or almost always do not perfectly straighten the images correctly here, to 100 %, So the guide lines seem to be the best / only way. And it indeed seems one just has to fiddle about more (like me) or less to straighten images with such conical objects. Simply as that.

Thank you very much for the tutorials. Very helpful.

It appears the auto and level buttons mostly or almost always do not perfectly straighten the images correctly here, to 100 %, So the guide lines seem to be the best / only way. And it indeed seems one just has to fiddle about more (like me) or less to straighten images with such conical objects. Simply as that.
In the end, what looks upright and when it doesn't remains in the photographer's eye.

I have a artificial horizon turned on in my EVF which I line up before I click the shutter. This helps me to remove the tilted camera problem and know that anything I see in the photo is a result of perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back