• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

What Happens to Lightroom Mobile and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CameraCarl

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System: Mac OS 10.12 and 10.13
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Lightroom Classic CC

In all the discussion about Lightroom Classic CC, I must have missed the bit about the future of Lightroom Mobile and Lightroom Web. If/when I update to Lightroom Classic CC, what happens to Lightroom Mobile and Lightroom for the Web? Do both continue to work as before? Or must I get Lightroom CC (the cloud based version) to still be able to edit images on my iPad or on the Adobe website?

They are as before, but renamed to Lightroom CC as well.

I'm sorry, but I am still confused. Before all these new announcements, with good old Lightroom CC 2015.12, I would store my images on my hard drive. Then I could specify certain Collections that I wanted to synch with and access in Lightroom Mobile and Lightroom Web, then view/edit these images in these Collections via my iPad or a web browser when away from home. If I update to Lightroom Classic CC, will I still be able to do this without Lightroom CC?

In other words, if I do not want to store any photos in the cloud, and do not want to use Lightroom CC, can I still use Lightroom Mobile to view and edit images in those Collections I designated to be synched with my desktop Lightroom Classic CC?

Lightroom Classic will still work in exactly the same way as CC2015.12 in respect of syncing with LRmobile and LRWeb, but do understand that when you do that the images ARE stored in the Adobe cloud. That's unavoidable, as that is how the syncing in handled, i.e. through the cloud. The new Desktop app, LRCC, works in the same way as LRmobile and LRWeb, it's just one more access point to the Adobe cloud, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

The only thing that has really changed is that a formal limit on "free" cloud space has been set at 20gb, if you want to sync more than that amount you would need the 1tb "add-on" to your subscription.

Jim, I think you might confuse him even more. Lightroom Classic syncs smart previews to the cloud, just like Lightroom CC2015 did. Nothing has changed in this respect. So when you say “the images ARE stored in the Adobe cloud” then that's misleading. They are not. The (original) images are still only stored locally. What is stored in the cloud is only a smart preview. Just like before.

Lightroom CC is not needed for this, and the OP already mentioned he does not want to use it. That means that nothing will change for him when he upgrades from Lightroom CC2015 to Lightroom Classic. And he can still use Lightroom Mobile and Lightroom Web just like before.

Actually, I was deliberately trying NOT to confuse the OP, because yes, while Classic only uploads smart previews of the original images to the cloud, LRWeb and LRmobile will upload full originals if any are added in that way. So I was just reacting to the phrase that the OP used "if I do not want to store any photos in the cloud", and trying to ensure he understood that use of the cloud is unavoidable in any syncing scenario, whether that be for smart previews or full originals.

The main point, which we've both started, is that Classic will work in exactly the same way as LRCC2015.12.

Thanks for the clarifications. I had finally figured out how to use Lightroom (now "Classic") along with the recent changes in Lightroom Mobile and Lightroom Web to view and edit my images when I was away from home and using my iPad, then Adobe made all these changes so I didn't know what to do. It appears that I can update to Lightroom Classic CC (whew! what a mouthful!) without changing my workflow significantly. Now all I have to do is decide whether to update to Lightroom Classic CC right now or wait awhile until Lightroom Classic CC update 1 inevitably comes along. And then whether or not to update my OS to High Sierra (praying that this doesn't affect anything). Thank you again.

all I have to do is decide whether to update to Lightroom Classic CC right now or wait awhile until Lightroom Classic CC update 1 inevitably comes along. And then whether or not to update my OS to High Sierra
Lightroom Classic is already at v7.01, High Sierra is an insignificant update from Sierra. There are no gotchas that are pushing the updater process for a 10.13.1. You should update the OS to 10.13 now and then update to Lightroom Classic at your earliest convenience. I haven't seen any of the reported LR bugs that are an impact to my workflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back