What do people think of the beta camera profiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paulgh

Specifically for Canon DSLR's.

I have Capture One v4 and Lightroom v2. I've tried hard, but I just can't seem to drag myself away from C1 and convert totally to LR even though I can see the advantages of doing it all in one application. And it all comes down to the colours. In terms of detail, noise reduction etc I don't see a difference. But whenever I do a "blind" test and convert an image in both C1 and LR, I always like the colours better in C1. So LR ends up being my cataloging software only.

I am not saying there's anythng wrong now with the LR colours. It's just that C1 leads me in a certain direction that ends up being more pleasing to my eye. Perhaps it's just that I need more practice with Lightroom.

I'm interested to know which of the new LR/ACR profiles do you prefer (or do you still use the old versions)? I may just pick one and keep practising until I get it right. :roll:

Cheers
Paul

Welcome to the forum Paul!

Funny you should ask. I have found the profiles greatly helpful and no longer sneak over to Canon's software. I don't see any color advantages there anymore.

Ultimately, though, it is what your eye likes and what your workflow is. There isn't a right answer.

I agree with you there Gene, in fact I never go to the Canon software !! :lol::lol::lol:
Seriously, I find they area quantum leap although I believe that I still need to fine tune the ones for my camera as the colour we have down here with our bright light is affecting the blue skies giving slight banding at times.
This is minor and can look quite arty! A job for a quiet day!!:cheesy:

Love em...

Standard beta 1 is very similar to what i used to get in RSP.

I now have 5 more funky looks i can create with what ever image i choose. Its just more choice to play with.

Also, dont forget they are "Beta"

Now, if only i could get LR to wake up, i could use them more!

I am using the Nikon D2'' profiles and I like them!

Thanks for all the comments. Seems different people like different styles, and there's not really a consensus. Personally, I'm leaning towards the camera neutral profile, with a bit of added saturation/vibrance.

Cheers
Paul

paulgh;23'18 said:
Personally, I'm leaning towards the camera neutral profile, with a bit of added saturation/vibrance.

Well, that has been my choice also.
I didn't like Portrait for my Canon 5D (too red, as it has been said), so I kept using Neutral for the 5D and now for the Nikon D7'' also.
Then, I tweak it!

Regards,
:p

Clicio Barroso;23'19 said:
Well, that has been my choice also.
I didn't like Portrait for my Canon 5D (too red, as it has been said), so I kept using Neutral for the 5D and now for the Nikon D7'' also.
Then, I tweak it!

Regards,
:p

Hve you tweeked any with the editor Clicio ??:shock:

Kiwigeoff;23'2' said:
Hve you tweeked any with the editor Clicio ??:shock:

Well, Geoff, in fact yes.
I have opened the Portrait as a base profile in the Editor, and lowered the red saturation, as well as the magenta.
Besides the contrast (some people really like high contrast skin), the profile looks much better (for my taste).
By the way, have you seen my new signature, Geoff?
Proud Nikon owner, again!
:)
Cheers, Kiwi!

Clicio Barroso;23'21 said:
Well, Geoff, in fact yes.
I have opened the Portrait as a base profile in the Editor, and lowered the red saturation, as well as the magenta.
Besides the contrast (some people really like high contrast skin), the profile looks much better (for my taste).
By the way, have you seen my new signature, Geoff?
Proud Nikon owner, again!
:)
Cheers, Kiwi!

Great stuff Clicio, does the profile now work much better for yoy??

As for the Nikon thing. Yahooooooooooooo!!
Another lost sheep back in the fold!! Which model??
:cheesy::cheesy::mrgreen::mrgreen:8)8)8)8):shock::shock:

Kiwigeoff;23'23 said:
Great stuff Clicio, does the profile now work much better for yoy??

Yes indeed, Geoff!

Kiwigeoff;23'23 said:
As for the Nikon thing. Yahooooooooooooo!!
Another lost sheep back in the fold!! Which model??
The D7'', Geoff. I just fell in love with it, along with a 24~7'mm 2.8 and a 1'5mm Micro VR.
GREAT STUFF!!!
:p:p:p

Clicio Barroso;23'24 said:
Yes indeed, Geoff!

The D7'', Geoff. I just fell in love with it, along with a 24~7'mm 2.8 and a 1'5mm Micro VR.
GREAT STUFF!!!
:p:p:p

Thanks for that info Clicio, I will have to tackle the D2'' one.
D7'' is next up for me, looking forward to resurrecting my range of MF Nikkors especially the 15mm !!:)

Braders;23'32 said:
Not hard in NZ hey Geoff...I couldn't resist.:cheesy:

Clicio is from Brazil Brad !!:cheesy:
By the way have you been following the rugby and the league???:shock::shock::p:p8)

Sean McCormack;23'56 said:
5D MKII I'm getting shortly will make you look like wusses with your Nikons.:(

Forget it!
21 Mpx *and* movies!
What for?
Besides, start your long journey into your deep pockets by buying memory (RAM, HDs, Externals) and storage (CFs, lots of them).
You are going to need them...
I will keep shooting the girls with the *excelent* results I've been getting from my Nikons...And *very* fast!
:twisted:

Sean McCormack;23'56 said:
It's okay boys, the 5D MKII I'm getting shortly

I now have a 5D MkII, any idea if LR will support it this side of Christmas? I'm going to Switzerland for Christmas and it would be great ir LR will read the RAW files

Support for that camera is widely expected in Lr2.2, and Tom Hogarty has projected a 'December' release for that version.

That camera is already supported in ACR 5.2, and the associated DNG converter. So, in a "work-around" kind of way, it's already supported in Lr.

I don't like the profiles for Canon, because none of them match what I see in the EOS Viewer Utility. I think the profiles were designed to match the options in Digital Photo Professional, which, along with LR, does not accurately display the images with the in-camera settings applied for saturation, contrast, etc. The viewer utility accurately displays the image with the in-camera settings applied. I think I'm going to have to convert the RAW files to TIFF out of the viewer utility and import the TIFFs to LR for editing. I've tinkered with profiles+saturation+vibrance in LR and can't match the desired color qualities I've already set in the camera which the viewer utility accurately displays.

Welcome to LR-Forums. First off, if you are running LR 2.2 ( You don't say, please add to your Signature), they are no longer Beta! You can also tweak them to your liking with the DNG Profile Editor can be found here. There are tutes and instructions there, as well.

Don

Hi Keith, welcome to the forum!

Do you have custom settings set in your camera - for example higher saturation, that kind of thing? Every test I've done with the default settings is an almost exact match, but in-camera settings are obviously not applied.

You could of course download the profile editor and tweak those to your preference - it should be possible to match.

Near simulepost™! :D

Don

I do have my camera's saturation setting cranked all the way up, and sharpness is at "Mid. High." Other than that, everything is standard. I'll have to check out the DNG profile editor. Thanks for the quick help!

I like the 2.2 Canon profiles. They do remind me of RSP days. The portrait tends to red. Not so great, but I like the landscape setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back