Status
Not open for further replies.

davidedric

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
When I log on to the forums, I generally click on New Posts. But often, I find posts I've already read.

How does it work, please?

When I log on to the forums, I generally click on New Posts. But often, I find posts I've already read.

When some one starts a new topic, then is a new post. When some one else replies to that topic this is a new post because ther is new information. I don’t know what happens when some one edits and existing post. Does this trigger the “new Post” mechanism?

The forum software assigned a post number to every comment made in the forum. When you read new posts that latest number is set in your local machine as a cookie. The new post counter displays all posts after toy last cookie value
Here is the path to my latest: New posts. 1780389 is the post counter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When some one starts a new topic, then is a new post. When some one else replies to that topic this is a new post because ther is new information. I don’t know what happens when some one edits and existing post. Does this trigger the “new Post” mechanism?

The forum software assigned a post number to every comment made in the forum. When you read new posts that latest number is set in your local machine as a cookie. The new post counter displays all posts after toy last cookie value
Here is the path to my latest: New posts. 1780389 is the post counter

I do not disagree, but like David, I sometimes find that the counter is not updating correctly for me. I see posts that I saw previously, and I sometimes do not see posts that have been updated. I belong to a few other forums that also use XenForo software and do not have the same issues, but am sometimes not notified of posts in threads that I have participated in, so I am chalking it up to minor bugs and/or obscure settings. All in all, what I see is generally acceptable, so I have not explored any further.

--Ken

[QUOTE="Replytoken, post: 1279885, member: 716"...I see posts that I saw previously, and I sometimes do not see posts that have been updated.[/QUOTE]
I Will view this forum on three different devices using TapaTalk to the browser. I’ve not noticed but the cookies are going to be stored on the local machine and might not be in sync across all devices and browsers.

[QUOTE="Replytoken, post: 1279885, member: 716"...I see posts that I saw previously, and I sometimes do not see posts that have been updated.
I Will view this forum on three different devices using TapaTalk to the browser. I’ve not noticed but the cookies are going to be stored on the local machine and might not be in sync across all devices and browsers.

[/QUOTE]
All of my viewing is on the same machine in the same browser (Chrome).

--Ken

Are you seeing POSTS that you've already read, or THREADS that have new posts? Clicking the thread title on a thread that you've already half read will take you to the first post that you haven't read yet. The forum database keeps track of which posts you've read for 30 days, anything older than that is automatically marked as read. Or that's how it's supposed to work anyway.

No, editing doesn't appear to mark something as a new post if you've already read the post.

I do not disagree, but like David, I sometimes find that the counter is not updating correctly for me. [...] am sometimes not notified of posts in threads that I have participated in, so I am chalking it up to minor bugs and/or obscure settings.

Interesting, I've never seen that. If you continue seeing oddities, let me know. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the new posts page is cached until you hit the New Posts button again to reduce server load.

Are you seeing POSTS that you've already read, or THREADS that have new posts? Clicking the thread title on a thread that you've already half read will take you to the first post that you haven't read yet. The forum database keeps track of which posts you've read for 30 days, anything older than that is automatically marked as read. Or that's how it's supposed to work anyway.

No, editing doesn't appear to mark something as a new post if you've already read the post.

Interesting, I've never seen that. If you continue seeing oddities, let me know. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the new posts page is cached until you hit the New Posts button again to reduce server load.
It has been pretty constant, and as I am bookmarked to take me directly to New Posts, I suspect it has something to do with caching either on my end or on the server, or possibly both. It is not a huge issue, but it does not behave quite the same as other XenForo sites where I am a member (mu-43.com and nikoncafe.com). I'll try to pay more attention to specifically what is happening in the future.

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back