• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again and there's some big feature improvements as well as new lenses and bug fixes! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

What can I do when I am away from my editing pc?

alaios

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
recent one, updated frequently
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Hi all,
I am a photographer in Germany and I am going to spend two months shooting weddings in Greece.
I wanted your help to understand what I can do while I am in greece with the lightroom platform.
I can run lightroom on my laptop but I am mostly skeptical if I Will have to do the same work twice once I am back in Germany.

1. Can I upload picture to lightroom cloud and then download those photos on my main pc once I am in Germany? If yes how this process look like?
2. What other things I can do with my laptop and the online environment from adobe cloud that is good to know of?
Thanks a alot
Alex

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I use Lightroom on my iPad Pro when I travel. All of my images and edits are sync’d to the Adobe cloud and down to my master catalog on my iMac that runs 7X24 at home. If I have a good internet connection during travel, the images are in my catalog when I return. The only issue is having enough Adobe Cloud storage to hold all of the image that I import using the iPadPro. The 20GB plan is not enough so I have the 1TB plan which is more than enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
If you're already bringing a laptop go Greece, just before you go copy your catalog and other associated files/folder that go along with the catalog to your laptop. Then in Greece use that catalog the same you would have at home. When you return copy the catalog folder back, copy the images from the laptop to the Germany Machine (best if they are all under one parent folder (e.g. "Greece-weddings") with subfolders as desired. Then just relink that one parent image folder. Once it is relinked use folders panely to move things around if you want.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I was planning to go with method Cletus and many others use. Since this is a hobby, and I have a full time job, I found trying to maintain skills in two separate tools even if similar, always slowed me down as I went back and had to figure things out again. That is what prompted me to investigate migrating. I then put in some serious time to see if I could make Cloud work. It did require some changes to my workflow, some I still do not love. But they "work" well enough that I just went completely to the cloud ecosystem. And now, i love it. I no longer worry about syncing catalogs between computers or travel catalogs or maintaining skills in two software packages...

Gnits

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
My own view is that if travelling for as long as 2 months and working professionally, I would prefer to work with Lr Classic, using a local catalog just for the Greek trip and merging this with your main catalog when you return to Germany. If travelling for a short personal trip I would be more inclined to use an Ipad pro ... just to minimise the weight and power supplies , etc... but have the ability to view, minor edits and feed email / social media / blogs, etc.

Obviously, for a two month period the quality of your internet connection may be significant.

You could have the best of both worlds by using a product like Splashtop (on Mac,PC or iPAd) to get really good remote access to your home system while travelling, combined with LR Mobile for images captured on the trip. While I am not sure of the quality of the colour for a remote session, you will have the full functionality of Lr on your home system, which you can use to service queries from existing clients or previous projects etc. Also, this allows you to use other apps outside of the Lightroom family, if such apps are important.

Another factor is the size of your catalog and image repository. If you could fit your catalog on say a 1 or 2 or 4 TB solid state drive then, for a two month journey, I would bring my catalog and a copy of my images on a small portable drive.

The reality is that there is a multitude of options. Deciding factors will be the nature of your own workflow and the volume of data to be managed.

For a 2 month period you will need a robust and well rehearsed backup strategy.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Gnits answer reminds me of how I used to deal with travel issues. I had a 1TB online cloud solution. I successfully used Box, Dropbox, Google Drive and MS OneDrive over the years. I placed the catalog and all images in the synced folder.
The downside, make sure sync has completed before opening the catalog. Or you would corrupt it.

Tim