• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Website Closure is cancelled! We're staying open!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tom Hogarty I think if there is one thing Adobe could do it is to bring some predictability to its interactions with forum users. Frequently a posting will be put up that catches an employees attention, and you get a quick, accurate answer, or you get a commitment to address a bug and it actually happens. Then all too often you get another similar result and nothing; another and you get a response "we are taking care of it" and years pass with no followup.

I personally just stopped going there in favor of here and a couple other places because of the complete inconsistency; I felt like I was wasting my time.

It's hard to interact with Adobe when they are all over the place, from wonderful and responsive to being ignored, to hybrids of both. Tell people what to expect -- maybe it's user-to-user only and we should expect nothing. Maybe it should be like MIcrosoft, someone is assigned to follow up after X days if user-to-user does not resolve people's issues. Whatever it is, tell us -- then stick to it.

Very sorry to see this happening, but thanks for 10 great years.

A challenge that any "official" forum has is its sheer size (this isn't specific to Adobe). That makes it very difficult to wade through search results to find something useful to resolve the issue one is having. Finding a needle in a haystack is much easier when the haystack is smaller! Personally, I have always found the "unofficial" forums/sites that crop up around a good product to be far superior to the company-sponsored resources. Going to an Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, etc. forum is always a last resort, and usually takes much more time and effort.

The large size also makes curating the forum more difficult. And by "curate" I don't just mean the posts themselves, but the organization of the site. I've been on this site for, I find hard to believe, almost 10 years, and Victoria has tweaked the site a number of times to make the organization of the forums make more sense for the particular era. I've rarely seen that happen with "official" sites, probably not because the sponsoring company is lazy or doesn't devote enough resources but because of the sheer magnitude of the effort needed.

Well, the milk is spilt, and the old adage applies. Thanks again.

I too am sorry to see this forum go. However thanks to Victoria and others for the help received and all the work that has gone into this. I may or may not see you at the adobe forum but I am subscribed to the newsletters. one of the joys of a forum that is not too large is that you read the odd thread that doesn't really concern you and you pick up a good idea, or try to help the forum gurus by answering the easier questions, if any.

Good luck to you Victoria and the gurus !

Bugga!! This place has always been a great source of information to solve the many Lightroom hard to understand features; but nothing stays the same so I guess this is the time for that BIG thank you I owe Victoria, the gurus, and the many others who have helped me out with my Lr dramas.

All the best to everyone; perhaps we will meet again elsewhere on the WWW.

I join all those above in expressing my shock, dismay, and loss! I will miss this community! Thanks for all the years of support!

Sorry to hear this Victoria. Thanks to you and all the experts here. I didn't post or ask too many questions, but I did read. Your site was of great help to me.

Morris

I think it was unfortunate that Victoria chose this time to stop providing user support. The Adobe forum has never had the functional, useful interface to find and follow an issue to resolve it. Moreover, I am convinced now more than ever that with the approach that Adobe has had toward Lightroom development and direction that the Lightroom product will not survive the Adobe blunders and now the loss of this forum.

I guess that this is my final post. I've enjoyed helping people and found my volunteer efforts rewarding. I also appreciate the world-wide friendships that I made here. I have even been able to make face to face connections with some on both sides of the Atlantic.

Thankyou Victoria.
lightroomqueen.com/community was the first site that put me on the road to better understanding the nature and quirks of the Lightroom environment, and with all the great help provided by others posting to this site.
It will be missed.
All the best to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Victoria Bampton

Thanks for keeping the forum running for such a long while.
However, I view this as just one more nail in the coffin in keeping Adobe LightRoom and makes a search for a replacement a little more urgent.
The phrase signal to noise ratio is critical to the long term survival of a forum. This forum had a fairly high signal to noise ratio; which makes the limited time I have to dedicate to my photography hobby valuable. The number of posts/threads I have found useful on the main Adobe sights is abysmally low. Questions I have asked years ago are still unanswered; there are a large number of posts with incorrect information or bad directions. Basically the signal to noise ratio has been so bad that I always give up on the official Adobe forums.

@clee01l

Drop me a line, you helped me a long time ago and I still owe you a dinner for the help and saving me hours of work. n 6 1 4 c d @gmail.com

@johnbeardy

Drop me line if you ever make it over to New England area of the states, I would gladly take you out for a dinner, your smart workflow has saved me more than a few times. And also made it a lot harder to find a replacement for Lr. n 6 1 4 c d @gmail.com

Tim

Thank you Victoria. I have many thoughts and emotions on this topic but I'll limit myself to the following:
  • Lightroom's continued success wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the support of this community
  • This community wouldn't have thrived without this sentiment, "The atmosphere and style of help we've cultivated here is something I'm very proud of, but I've come to realise that it's due to the way WE treat people, rather than the website we're using."
If there's anything we can do on Adobe's managed platforms(Help forums and bug reporting forums) to help ease this transition please let me know. We're also investing in more modern approaches to feedback including interactions within the application.

Sincerely,
Tom Hogarty
Adobe Systems

Tom - Adobe could help us and yourself out by finding a way to keep this forum, it's users, contributors. and its gurus active and somewhat separate from the current Adobe forums. Your forum leaders could learn a lot from how this forum operated and succeeded.

I'm sorry to see this place close it's doors. It has been every helpful with the short time I was a member. If I can't find an answer somewhere else I come here. I don't have the history but thanks Victoria for this place, to the mods/gurus and all that helped finding solutions.
Disappointed.
Me too. I don't know how I could have mastered Lightroom, such as I have, without this forum. There is a saying about, "All good things must come to an end." Still, I'm surprised.

Tom - Adobe could help us and yourself out by finding a way to keep this forum, it's users, contributors. and its gurus active and somewhat separate from the current Adobe forums. Your forum leaders could learn a lot from how this forum operated and succeeded.
Tom,

I have found the official Adobe forums frustrating to use, compared with this forum. i'm sure that Adobe has invested a lot in their forum application, but in the end, I hardly ever go to the Adobe forums and I'm a daily (several times!) visitor to this forum. I want to add my voice to the others urging Adobe to adopt this forum. There is a lot of ferment in our little Lightroom world, and this forum has been an excellent place to discuss/vent/get explanations.

It's hard to build up this kind of community. Take the opportunity.

Phil

Wow guys, you sure know how to tug at my heart strings!!!

Oh no! I was so glad I had found this forum.

Wow just cannot believe it, would there be any other forum as useful as here, answer no!
Such a great shame thank you Victoria and hope your future is a success.

Following my earlier comment.
Victoria it’s such a shame to lose such an incredible resource that you and all the contributors have built over 10 years.
I’ll ask the question that nobody has asked but I’m sure have thought.
Is there in any way anything we can do to keep this forum open ?
Resource, money, begging ?

Ahh such a shame. Thanks to all for your help and time both directly and indirectly over the years, it has been most appreciated, I too did visit the forum several times a day so it will be a big loss to me as well, especially as over these years I have gotten to know the style, knowledge, humour and even quirks of the regular posters so that even though we had never met, I felt they were colleagues of mine who I could call on or talk too if needed. Such a loss.
Now like Cletus I too believe that Adobe have made some bad decisions and that the lightroom product is on a precarious path, additionally I also believe that Victoria will one day look back on her decision too close this forum and say "O'h dear, that was a mistake", but it was her decision and I respect that and wish her well in her next endeavours.
As for myself, I too say goodbye. I have decided that I shall migrate to Darktable. Its far more powerful than I first thought and actively under development. Granted the Windows version has a few bugs and quirks, but it already appears to dwarf lightroom in its capabilities so I an hooked. Anyone want to discuss it let me know
Steve

Tom,

I have found the official Adobe forums frustrating to use, compared with this forum. i'm sure that Adobe has invested a lot in their forum application, but in the end, I hardly ever go to the Adobe forums and I'm a daily (several times!) visitor to this forum. I want to add my voice to the others urging Adobe to adopt this forum. There is a lot of ferment in our little Lightroom world, and this forum has been an excellent place to discuss/vent/get explanations.

It's hard to build up this kind of community. Take the opportunity.

Phil

I'm not looking forward to the Adobe forums either. No where near as good as this site.

Hugely disappointed but thanks for all you have done in the past. To be honest I have been wrestling with the idea of moving away from the subscription model for a while now and this has probably pushed me over the edge. My subscription period end is May and I have little doubt that I will now move to pastures new.

Before deciding to stick with Adobe I tested a few of of the top developers. I shoot a lot of wildlife and I don't have the big lenses yet. I have to crop, sometimes a lot and I kinda consider myself a self proclaimed expert at pushing the heck out of flies. When the others give me the fine detail at extreme crops that LR does then I will consider it. I don't mind the plan at all. $10 a month is insignificant. As long as I have a choice when it comes to the use if cloud storage I'm fine with it.

We will get answers, it just won't be as quick and easy.

I’m touched by the strength of feeling. I am listening to all of your responses and considering options... no promises, but you are being heard.

To be honest I have been wrestling with the idea of moving away from the subscription model for a while now and this has probably pushed me over the edge.
Ok, tell me more about this. Having access to this forum is a major selling point for Lightroom itself? Is that because the forum software is easier to use? Or the atmosphere and sense of community? Or the fact it’s simply more intimate than the Adobe forums?

I’m touched by the strength of feeling. I am listening to all of your responses and considering options... no promises, but you are being heard.

Ok, tell me more about this. Having access to this forum is a major selling point for Lightroom itself? Is that because the forum software is easier to use? Or the atmosphere and sense of community? Or the fact it’s simply more intimate than the Adobe forums?

All of the above!

As an avid lurker (typically twice per day) and without patronising you at all, this forum is an integral part of the Lightroom package for me. I am currently wrestling with the perpetual/subscription options - in particular about the potential difficulties in stopping a subscription sometime in the future (the money thing is irrelevant for 99% of users in my opinion). Without this forum I would be more inclined to seek out other software offerings as I remain ambivalent about Adobe's future plans. Even peer-to-peer help needs to be seen as unbiased and independent; aspects this forum has in spades.

Anthony

...I guess that this is my final post. I've enjoyed helping people and found my volunteer efforts rewarding. I also appreciate the world-wide friendships that I made here. I have even been able to make face to face connections with some on both sides of the Atlantic.

And thank you for all your help!!! I greatly appreciate it.

Wow guys, you sure know how to tug at my heart strings!!!
If you will note there are many expressing sentiments like this:
I have found the official Adobe forums frustrating to use, compared with this forum.
If Adobe would adopt this type of forum interface, then leaving this website and migrating over to Adobe might be feasible. As it exists now, the Adobe website will Kill LR support before it gets improved to the quality of this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back