Website Closure is cancelled! We're staying open!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
When this forum was created more than 10 years ago, there wasn't much Lightroom information available, Lightroom experts were few and far between, and the official Adobe forums were virtually unusable.

Times have changed though. The world now revolves around social media and instant answers. There's a vast amount of how-to information available on the web. Adobe's help forums and bug report forums are now an excellent source of information and fast support, and their automated search means most people find the information they need without even having to post.

Lightroom's continued success means I'm busier than ever, and being pulled in too many different directions. I'm sure that's true of our other Guru's too. It's time to reassess how I can offer the most help in the Lightroom community, as it continues to grow and develop over the next 10 years.

The atmosphere and style of help we've cultivated here is something I'm very proud of, but I've come to realise that it's due to the way WE treat people, rather than the website we're using.Therefore, after consulting with Lightroom's managers and others, I've come to the decision that it's time to close this forum. By consolidating our efforts on the official Adobe forums, we can continue to offer Lightroom users the best support possible.

We've built a wonderful community here over the last 10 years, and as I refocus my efforts in the support of the Lightroom World, I hope you'll all continue to join me on the Lightroom Queen blog, on Twitter and Facebook, and our entire team of Guru's on Adobe's help forums and bug report forums.

EDIT - you guys are coming up with some pretty compelling arguments, so I'm looking at options... hold that thought (and feel free to continue convincing me that the forum should stay open!!)

EDIT 23 February - WE'RE STAYING OPEN!!!! Read all about it here[COLOR]

Last edited:
I'm sorry to see this place close it's doors. It has been every helpful with the short time I was a member. If I can't find an answer somewhere else I come here. I don't have the history but thanks Victoria for this place, to the mods/gurus and all that helped finding solutions.

A sad day. This forum has been a great source of help and advice over the years and I'll be sorry to lose it. I find it far more difficult to find answers in the Adobe forums. But a huge thank you to you, Victoria, for setting it up you and your Gurus for running it for the past 10 years and always prompt and constructive responses.

While I respect your decision, I regret it. This forum was very clear and helpful and, as Jeremy said, the Adobe's forum are not so easy to use to find answer.
Anyway, many thanks Victoria for your work, and I'll continue to follow your blog.

Sad, shocked, in denial (this can't really be happening!). Reading the latest on this forum has been one of my morning rituals for many years. I've learned a lot and I've become a more competent LR user. Occasionally, I've even had one of my own questions answered. Thanks to everyone who's contributed for their time and civility. You are all wonderful people - Victoria, you're the best. I won't say that I'll see you on the Adobe fora because I still find them much more difficult to use, but I will wish you the best in your future endeavors. Cheers all,

Bruce

Thanks for all the words of support guys. I know this is a shock, and it's something I've debated long and hard, because it's been a massive part of my life for the last 10+ years too.

A couple of you mentioned that Adobe's forums aren't so easy to use, so let me know what bits trip you up and I'll try to put some tutorial blog posts together to help to you find the information you need and post when you can't (or when you just want to say hello!) They're pretty good when you get the hang of them. Don't forget, almost every question ever asked is in my books, and I do offer email support with its purchase too.

Great shame, most days I'd pop in, read the new posts and pick up snippets of information, very useful. Also posted some questions and all the great contributors here very helpful and friendly.
Victoria you've done a great job, appreciate how this decision must have been very hard for you. Thank you for your books, blogs and this forum, really help me particularly when I first started with Lightroom. Received your LR Classic CC The Missing FAQ 2018 book recently, bigger and more comprehensive than I was expecting, really great. First thing I wanted to understand was using Classic & CC together, wasn't expecting it to be covered (well it is FAQ for Classic) but found it straight away, it does seem to have all the answers. Highly recommended.
Thanks to Victoria and all the knowledgable contributors here, you've really helped me to get to grips with LR.

Last edited:
I despair at the thought of using Adobe forums.

A few quick links would be useful. Eg.

Lightroom Classic bug reports.
Lightroom Announcements.... now that the Lightroom Journal has disappeared and I now have to search another anonymous Adobe web site just to find the Lightroom announcements.

The only time I ever got a positive experience from Adobe forums was specifically related to using JavaScript with InDesign. I think there were a few gurus who understood the questions and provided real answers.

Thanks for all you have done to date. Best wishes on your future activity.

I sense my own time with Lr might be drawing to a close, as I have started to use Capture One already for tethered capture and further excursions into Capture One is inevitable. I have stopped recommending Lr anymore, as it takes too long for me to explain the difference between Lr Classic and Lr CC.

The wheel turns.

Just been to look at the Adobe help forum, never needed it before :-(
Is there a way of listing all the new posts ? Just seems to have "Recent Discussions" for last couple of hours also doesn't have threads in categories.
Missing this forum already.

What a pitty !!
A software is only as good as the information you have available to use it properly. Your book and this forum were the best sources to use LR .
Some people say that Capture One is a better software than LR. I tried it several times and I tend to agree, but when you have a problem you are stuck, alone in your corner, with very little help or information.
I agree as well concerning Adobe forum, a lot of bels and wisles but not easy to use.
Bernard

Thanks Hal that's better (but not as good as here !!), Cheers
Roelof, that appears to be a different forum, is that an Adobe forum ?

Ugh - not the news I wanted to see this morning. I certainly will miss this forum, the interaction, and the people.
I will probably miss the people the most. This is one of the few places that I can go on the internet where the conversation stays professional, sane, and non personal.
Victoria, I can understand your decision and wish you luck, and success going forward. I hope you find what you are looking for.

As I think about it as I write this, Adobe would be well served if they just took over this site.
Victoria, despite what you might think and hope, Adobe will not and cannot be 1/2 the site that this is.

As I breakthrough my unhappiness - I forgot to say:

Thank You for a wonderful 10 years,
and
Thank You to the staff and gurus.

There are two different forums. The "Family" forum is the official forum for reporting potential bugs and for making feature requests. That's the forum that the "Bug Report / Feature Request" link at the top of this page directs to. It is monitored by Adobe staff, though many ordinary users (such as several of the Gurus from this forum) will contribute help and commentary where they can. Being the official feature request site, there's a voting system that allows users to add their own "+1" to ideas, such that hopefully Adobe takes note of the more popular suggestions and considers them for implementation.

The "Community" forum is known as the Adobe U2U (user-to-user) forum, which is the typical place for Lightroom users to look for help with problems they are having (much like this forum in fact). It is occasionally manned by Adobe staff, but mostly it's users helping users (again, just like this site).

So there is a lot of crossover between the two sites, and often the same "helping" users will pop up in both.

Victoria,

Much thanks to you and the admin team who have made this site the best Lr support site!!! Nothing at Adobe replaces this site.

I wish you and the team every success wherever the future takes you!!!

So, what's the best place to be?

Well here of course! But...

I am very bummed to loose this resource. It has pretty much been a part of my daily routine to check in here to see what is happening with Lightroom, what can I learn and how can I help. The activity here is just right, enough to cover almost any aspect of using LIghtroom but not so much to be overwhelmed. And most importantly has been the respectful tone that has been firmly but gently insisted upon.

I am going to really miss the intimacy engendered by this small group of dedicated guru's and contributors. It is not something that is easily found in an online community.

Thank you Victoria for carrying the torch for the last 10 years and I wish you the best in your next endeavors.

-louie

Very sad news. This forum and its members have been a part of my daily life since I joined ten years ago, and I will miss it greatly. I want to thank Victoria for all that she has done to gather a great group of moderators and gurus over the years and set a warm and welcoming tone in the forum. I wish her all the best in her next endeavors.

Thank you,

--Ken

Shocked here too. There's nowhere else that I have received so much considerate and expert help and I try and visit at least once a day. I really cannot imagine the Adobe site will be anywhere near a substitute as I have never fathomed the rhyme or reason of the organisation (is there any?) but will give it ago.
Thanks to you Victoria and the gurus for all your help. :(

Thank you Victoria. I have many thoughts and emotions on this topic but I'll limit myself to the following:
  • Lightroom's continued success wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the support of this community
  • This community wouldn't have thrived without this sentiment, "The atmosphere and style of help we've cultivated here is something I'm very proud of, but I've come to realise that it's due to the way WE treat people, rather than the website we're using."
If there's anything we can do on Adobe's managed platforms(Help forums and bug reporting forums) to help ease this transition please let me know. We're also investing in more modern approaches to feedback including interactions within the application.

Sincerely,
Tom Hogarty
Adobe Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back