watched folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

docdave

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I'm new to both LR and this forum and have what I hope isn't too stupid a question . . but . . I have been using Photoshop Elements and love it's watched folder option - I set it to 'watch' the folder (and all the subfolders) containing ALL of my pictures. When I add a new picture to, for instance, L:\Pictures\Animals\dogs and then start PE5 the new pictures are detected and shown at startup. (I hope I'm making sense!) :|
My question: Is there any way that LR2 can be adjusted to do the same thing?
Cheers,
Dave

:|
My question: Is there any way that LR2 can be adjusted to do the same thing?

Dave, welcome to this forum!
Lightroom has the possibility of importing any file that comes inside a watched folder automatically. You have to turn auto-import on and you have to point to this watched folder, and it works.
Cheers!

Dave, welcome to this forum!
Lightroom has the possibility of importing any file that comes inside a watched folder automatically. You have to turn auto-import on and you have to point to this watched folder, and it works.
Cheers!

Not sure it can!
Dave said:
When I add a new picture to, for instance, L:\Pictures\Animals\dogs
LR says:
Note: You cannot choose an existing folder that contains photos as a watched folder.

The Watched folder must be empty when you choose it.
From there Lightroom moves it to a destination folder as specified in the Auto Import settings.
You cannot have more than one watch folder.
You can manually right click on a folder name and choose Sync Folder.. This will find new, deleted and changed files and allow you to import these files/changes.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I have the 'watched folder' thing set up, but I still like PE5's system better! <gr>
David

Okay...this guidance isn't quite working for me...

Can LR have a "watch folder" without a destination? In other words, is the only purpose of the LR watch folder is to move files? If the watch folder provided a generic utility of locating new files, without copying or moving the located file, I would consider it valuable for that alone. Providing a move capability as an "option" would be nice - but as an option vs only purpose of the watch...

Hi Jake, welcome to the forum!

Yes, the only purpose of the LR watch folder is to import files while moving. It doesn't work if you set it up with a folder that already has files in it.

I certainly could see the value of a live 'watch this folder' function to keep an eye open for new files appearing, but it would be an added performance drain, which I think they're trying to avoid. The right-click Synchronize command on folders does the same job on demand... will that work for you?

Okay...this guidance isn't quite working for me...

Can LR have a "watch folder" without a destination? In other words, is the only purpose of the LR watch folder is to move files? If the watch folder provided a generic utility of locating new files, without copying or moving the located file, I would consider it valuable for that alone. Providing a move capability as an "option" would be nice - but as an option vs only purpose of the watch...
Welcome from me too Jake. The Watched folder was designed specifically for thetered shooting and is usually reconfigured for each photo shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back