Warning the LR5 won't run on next Mac OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Califdan

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR5
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi,

I'm not a Mac person, but one of my clients who is running LR5 got this message when she open LR recently.

"This software will not work with future versions of macOS and needs to be updated to improve compatibility. Contact the developer for more information."

So, not being a Mac person I'm not up to speed on what changes may occur in the next Mac OS that would cause LR5 to stop running. One thing I can think of is if she's running a 32 bit version of LR5 and the next Mac OS will no longer support 32bit applications. Am I on the right track here?

Can someone confirm if that is the issue, and if not, what the problem and solution is other than going to a rental plan?

Would she be able to update to a 64 bit version of LR5 under her existing Perpetual license and would that deal with the issue?

Would buying a Perpetual License version of LR6 solve this problem?

Any added info will be helpful..

Thanks -- Dan

PS - I'm guessing at her current Mac OS version

Yes. Lightroom 5 is still 32 bits, so it won't run on the next version of MacOS X. No need for any action right now, but if your client does want to update to the next version of MacOS X in the fall of this year, then Lightroom 5 can no longer be used at that time. Lightroom 6 is 64 bits, but of course there are no guarantees and this version is also no longer supported.

Buying a perpetual version go LR6 will only delay the problem. OS advances will eventually make old software (and that includes LR6.x) obsolete. The obvious solution other than upgrading to the subscription model is to never update your OS This means that you lose out on any future technological advances both in software and Operating Systems. OS advances will also obsolete older hardware. For the same reason that you don't find many people still watching TV on analog devices or driving the freeway in an Edsel, you simply need to upgrade your technology periodically or get left behind. It's OK to get left behind as long as that is a conscious decision on your part.
LR5 is nearly 6 years old. Is her car, TV , computer that old? Just putting everything in perspective...

Not for me to say when or if someone should upgrade other than to point out the pros and cons. There may be other mitigating circumstances I'm not aware of and have no business prying into. But I totally agree with your prognosis however the time line for such events is speculative.

BTW, not that it matters, but I keep my LR and Photoshop up to date by choice. I keep my OS up to date because Windows forces me to (I'd love to go back to Windows XP or 7 if they'd keep the security up to date). However, I still use MS/word and MS/Excel 2003. And, I'd still be using Outlook 2003 if it hadn't become incompatible with my OS (your point exactly) and had to upgrade to 2013 (I did this I think in 2016). It's not that I'm cheap, I just can't stand the "ribbons" that replaced menus in MS/Office. And, I keep my automobiles for roughly 13 to 15 years. There's just something comforting about an old pair of jeans and a car you're intimately familiar with.

Not for me to say when or if someone should upgrade other than to point out the pros and cons. There may be other mitigating circumstances I'm not aware of and have no business prying into. But I totally agree with your prognosis however the time line for such events is speculative.

BTW, not that it matters, but I keep my LR and Photoshop up to date by choice. I keep my OS up to date because Windows forces me to (I'd love to go back to Windows XP or 7 if they'd keep the security up to date). However, I still use MS/word and MS/Excel 2003. And, I'd still be using Outlook 2003 if it hadn't become incompatible with my OS (your point exactly) and had to upgrade to 2013 (I did this I think in 2016). It's not that I'm cheap, I just can't stand the "ribbons" that replaced menus in MS/Office. And, I keep my automobiles for roughly 13 to 15 years. There's just something comforting about an old pair of jeans and a car you're intimately familiar with.
I got rid of a car (1982 Datsun 280 ZX) when it was 29 years old, and rust caused the roof to leak. It was a great car to drive and if the roof didn't leak, I'd probably be driving that car today. But autos and computer hardware and software have very different life cycles. If only because of security issues, you do need to be more or less up to date with your Windows or MacOS. And at some point, manufacturers no longer provide drivers for old hardware.

Yes, it's very much a "throwaway" economy, which I don't like, but I don't see any way around this problem. Run a very old computer with Windows XP, and you are hugely vulnerable, not to mention the difficulty of actually repairing the hardware on such a computer.

Phil Burton

While LR6 is 64-bit, I believe the licensing code was still 32-bit, so there's a good chance that won't work on the next macOS either.

Sale of Lightroom 6 from Adobe has ceased.
Quote From Rikk Flohr-
"This notice is now on the download page:
Lightroom 6 has been discontinued and is no longer available for purchase on Adobe.com. Consider upgrading to the Creative Cloud Photography plan to get the latest updates in Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC, and ensure that the software works with raw files from the newest cameras."

It was coming. Last year I said I'll be surprised to see LR6 for sale in 2019. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't imagining it. The DVD is still available at B&H (shipping to USA only) and I imagine on Amazon, etc until they run, chuck them out. etc. Thanks for the info.

To be honest, it's about time. Those who were going to upgrade from earlier versions have had nearly 4 years in which to do so. I'm glad they kept it going for a little while after announcing the end of its life, but I was never entirely comfortable with them selling software that was no longer being updated, when bits were dying off. Undoubtedly there will be some complaints about it being subscription only, but that ship sailed a long time ago now, and they're clearly not turning back, so life goes on.

Agreed. A one year overlap was enough. It only effected people who purchased cameras released in 2018.

Sale of Lightroom 6 from Adobe has ceased.
Quote From Rikk Flohr-
"This notice is now on the download page:
Lightroom 6 has been discontinued and is no longer available for purchase on Adobe.com. Consider upgrading to the Creative Cloud Photography plan to get the latest updates in Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC, and ensure that the software works with raw files from the newest cameras."

I have the Install PhotoShop Lightroom bookmarked but haven't opened it in a while. It still works. That link in post #6 still works to get to the product page however now when I go through the same channels I used before (search) I get this. I can't find the product page anymore. That page may not exist anymore. Not important, just making an observation.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 231
  • Untitled.jpeg
    Untitled.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 213
To be honest, it's about time. Those who were going to upgrade from earlier versions have had nearly 4 years in which to do so. I'm glad they kept it going for a little while after announcing the end of its life, but I was never entirely comfortable with them selling software that was no longer being updated, when bits were dying off. Undoubtedly there will be some complaints about it being subscription only, but that ship sailed a long time ago now, and they're clearly not turning back, so life goes on.

Are you thinking about adding a short RIP blog? I know you are pretty busy and it isn't critical. Thought I'd ask.

Are you thinking about adding a short RIP blog? I know you are pretty busy and it isn't critical. Thought I'd ask.
No, I think it would just become a target for complaints about subscriptions. Lightroom hasn't died, it's just paid for differently.

Oh yeah - them. We don’t want that to happen.

Macs with HighSierra (10.13) and Mojave (10.14) run 32bit apps correctly, any OS after Mojave will only run 64bit apps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back