• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

WARNING ! Lightroom CC to Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoldwizard1

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Operating System: windows

Lightroom Version: CC/Classic
(Please go to Help menu > System Info to double check the exact version number)

Question or Description of Problem: Not well documented, but the upgrade from CC to Classic does some kind of a "conversion" on the catalog file.

This can take A VERY LONG TIME ! Easily overnight, possible longer.

the upgrade from CC to Classic does some kind of a "conversion" on the catalog file.
Any time there is a whole number version upgrade, it means that Adobe has modified the database structure. This was true fro LR3 to LR4 all the way to LR5 to LR6/LRCC2015. This new catalog structure is to be expected. IIRC, you are currently dealing with a 20GB user catalog that is overly large due to excessive local adjustments. It would be any one's guess as to how long such a conversion would take. It will certainly take longer than a regular catalog backup. There is nothing to be concerned about as long as it is working away. The end result will be a new catalog file alongside the old one. So, your old catalog will remain intact and available for LR6/LRCC2015 should you need to fall back to the older LR version

IIRC, you are currently dealing with a 20GB user catalog that is overly large due to excessive local adjustments. It would be any one's guess as to how long such a conversion would take. It will certainly take longer than a regular catalog backup. There is nothing to be concerned about as long as it is working away. The end result will be a new catalog file alongside the old one. So, your old catalog will remain intact and available for LR6/LRCC2015 should you need to fall back to the older LR version
Completely accurate.

End user started the upgrade process when he has a deliverables date coming soon. (I don't know why he choose to do the upgrade. We had discussed some of your other suggestions and decide to wait until "things cool down".) My gut says it will be >12 hours.

An extra warning ("Your catalog will be converted. This will take some time. Do you wish to continue ?") would have been nice.

Your user could always cancel out and do the conversion later. The source catalogue is only read, not written to or deleted by the conversion process.

Well, good news ! The first 1/3 of the process to convert the catalog took about 14 hours. The remaining 2/3 took less than 3 !

Summary : The progress/status bar is WAY OFF !

Tried that. When he restarted, it immediately went back to converting the catalog.

Lightroom Classic must convert the catalog, it cannot simply open the old one. He should go back to Lr CC2015.12 if he doe not have the time to wait for it.

Not sure if or when I'll be able to see the difference. I'm staying with cc classic but 8 or 9 hours in and the conversion function saying it is optimizing but is only at about 5 percent. My catalog just isn't that big but this could take a week at this rate.
I'm also very shaky about the mentality of a company that renames an existing product and uses the name it had for a new product. Could they make it more confusing? If the book module in the new version is still like the old version ...totally unworkable and dedicated to only one company ...that will make things even less satisfying. Seems like with every upgrade there are issues that just leave hands thrown in the air.

Tried that. When he restarted, it immediately went back to converting the catalog.
The user should NOT start the new update LR app, It only works with a converted catalog file. The user should (temporarily) revert to the previous LR version to meet any deliverables date. I hope you are getting paid well. It sounds like you have a pretty thick headed user to deal with.

Thanks for the assistance. Just wanted to mention my backup increased in speed after about 10 hours where it was still less than 10% but then it finished after another hour.
Haven't done another yet but due soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back