• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Warning before deleting master of virtual copies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randal.hundley

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 11.0.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
If I have created virtual copies of an image and later try to delete the master image, it seems that Lightroom should warn me that virtual copies are dependent upon this master. But I can easily delete the master and wipe out all the virtual copies without warning. Is there a setting to produce a warning in this case? I do understand that a number in the left upper corner of the thumbnail should indicate that other images are related to this one, and maybe that should be adequate. Just wondering about a fail-safe. Thanks!

Last edited:
This warning is what should alert you to the fact that you are going to delete the file behind the master copy:
"This photo will be removed from your Lightroom Catalog and any synced Lightroom Clients. Select "Delete from Disk" to also move the selected photos on your computer to the Finder’s trash. One virtual copy will also be removed."

Master Copies are associated with the Master file. Virtual Copies are associated with the Master copy. If you want to remove ONLY the master copy from the Lightroom Catalog, then you should first promote a virtual copy to become the new master copy.

As soon as you recognize your mistake, "Undo" will recover the Master copy, virtual copies and the master file.

Thank you. What you describe is exactly what I thought should happen, and I have seen screenshots to this effect. However, when I make a virtual copy, alter it, and then delete the master I just get the "delete from Lightroom or from disk." If I delete from disk there is no further warning.

Fortunately, this hasn't been a problem for me yet; I was just testing. I will just need to be alert when deleting!

Thank you. What you describe is exactly what I thought should happen, and I have seen screenshots to this effect. However, when I make a virtual copy, alter it, and then delete the master I just get the "delete from Lightroom or from disk." If I delete from disk there is no further warning.

Fortunately, this hasn't been a problem for me yet; I was just testing. I will just need to be alert when deleting!
Addendum to my post. OK, I do see there is a warning in small print on the "delete from Lightroom or Disk" dialogue, but it seems to be the same regardless of whether a virtual copy is involved.

Hi,
You should have gotten this message
1638639945736.png

If you didn't, the message may have popped up on your 2nd monitor (if you have one). Or, if you switched apps quickly may have appeared behind LrC or some other app on your screen. Or, you may have not read the entire message and just hit the Delete or Remove buttons. If none of that is the case you may want to reset your preferences as sometimes that clears up weird things.

Hi,
You should have gotten this message
View attachment 17672

If you didn't, the message may have popped up on your 2nd monitor (if you have one). Or, if you switched apps quickly may have appeared behind LrC or some other app on your screen. Or, you may have not read the entire message and just hit the Delete or Remove buttons. If none of that is the case you may want to reset your preferences as sometimes that clears up weird things.
I believe the issue is "you may not have read the entire message. . ." It is in fine print and looks very much like the messages that don't involve virtual copies. I wish Adobe would at least put the last sentence in highlight, like you did. But clearly I need to pay more attention before deleting!!

I believe the issue is "you may not have read the entire message. . ." It is in fine print and looks very much like the messages that don't involve virtual copies. I wish Adobe would at least put the last sentence in highlight, like you did. But clearly I need to pay more attention before deleting!!

And don’t forget the “undo” option

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back