• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Want to Re-Search for Duplicates, Know there are More. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunaclick

Lightroom Version Number
V5
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi folks-
Just joined a few minutes ago, looking forward to learning here, and starting by fixing my files, which became a bit of a nightmare.

Have a question: a just installed the Jim Kerr find duplicates plug-in under the Free Trial, and it found 21 duplicates, but I know there are many more. I understand the plug-in is limited unless acquiring a license, which I did. Now, with the license it seems the search for duplicates should be unlimited, but I can't seem to get it to re-search and find all those other duplicates.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Why don’t you contact the author?

Thank you Victoria. Still learning, but at the same time trying to untangle a mess.

I think I found out how to correctly run the PlugIn and it identified most of my photos in the catalog as duplicates, which is likely correct. It also put them into a collection. It also tagged the likely duplicates in each folder of the catalog. I created this catalog to "start fresh" to keep LR and the (new) catalog in sync. The older two messed up "source" catalogs are still on the HD.

I now need to figure out how to delete the duplicates from LR and the hard drive, while still saving one copy in the new catalog on the HD and corresponding image in LR.

Anyway, thanks again. I suspect this is all LR 101 for folks on this forum so will just keep poking around.

Thanks again.

When you put everything in the "start fresh" catalog, did you copy the files or add them at their existing location?

Hi folks-
Just joined a few minutes ago, looking forward to learning here, and starting by fixing my files, which became a bit of a nightmare.

Have a question: a just installed the Jim Kerr find duplicates plug-in under the Free Trial, and it found 21 duplicates, but I know there are many more. I understand the plug-in is limited unless acquiring a license, which I did. Now, with the license it seems the search for duplicates should be unlimited, but I can't seem to get it to re-search and find all those other duplicates.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.
Where do I find the Jim Kerr Plug-in to find duplicates in Lightroom?

When you put everything in the "start fresh" catalog, did you copy the files or add them at their existing location?

I created a new catalog in LR and imported the files from the old catalog. I hope that was the right approach.

I think I have a better handle on running the duplicate plug-in, and flagging and deleting duplicates. I'm not sure that I've actually transferred all the images from the broken catalog, am working through that now, but I at least have a much better understand of the finding duplicates tools. My new catalog folders match with the folders in the HD catalog, already a big improvement.

I hope I didn't mess up or mess with any photo linkages.

Thanks for your help. I'm glad I discovered the LRQ site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back