• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Want a training course for Lr using an iPad Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimothyAllen

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. iOS
Lightroom Queen‘s books are fantastic and I turn to them when I need specific answers. However, I’m finding it very difficult to find a course that focuses on Lr CC for the tablet. Most are for phones. I’d welcome suggestions on a complete course from the nuts and bolts to the fine art of editing. I tend to learn best using a video in short segments but a book would be good as well.

Thank you.

Lightroom Queen‘s books are fantastic and I turn to them when I need specific answers. However, I’m finding it very difficult to find a course that focuses on Lr CC for the tablet. Most are for phones. I’d welcome suggestions on a complete course from the nuts and bolts to the fine art of editing. I tend to learn best using a video in short segments but a book would be good as well.

Thank you.

I learn best by “doing”. e.g. How does this button work?. There are two types of learners, auditory and visual.

I don’t know if Victoria’s Lightroom free book works for you specifically got Lightroom Ian a tablet, but it should be inclusive of all three platforms (Desktop, Tablet and Phone) as there are features unique to each platform

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/members/free-membership/cc-free-ebook/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can see you've already got Edit Like a Pro which covers the cloud ecosystem. The iPhone and iPad apps are identical, other than the UI is a bit more like desktop because there's more space available. Where are you getting tripped up? Do we need some extra screenshots or diagrams somewhere to help you apply it to the iPad version?

Clee01l, thank you for your suggestions. I'm a paid subscriber of both of Victoria's books. I'll have to look more closely at them for an overall view.

I can see you've already got Edit Like a Pro which covers the cloud ecosystem. The iPhone and iPad apps are identical, other than the UI is a bit more like desktop because there's more space available. Where are you getting tripped up? Do we need some extra screenshots or diagrams somewhere to help you apply it to the iPad version?
Victoria, thank you for your reply.
I've been so used to using Lr Classic on a 24" Mac. I'm a bit overwhelmed moving to a smaller surface and to a different layout. I agree that a few more screen prints for the tablet would be helpful for those of us who are visual learners. I believe the other issue is getting used to using my fingers on the screen. I do have a keyboard with my iPad so that helps but some keys are missing that are on my desktop keyboard. One that is missing and highly frustrating is not having the esc (escape) key. I use that a lot on my desktop to get out of actions I did not intend to do.
When looking at adding information to your Lightroom (Cloud) Edit Like a Pro you might consider the keyboard commands for various functions. I realize that this is a lot of work but it seems as tablets get more powerful they will be used more for editing.
I did look more closely at your Lightroom (Cloud).... book and it does have a wealth of information on the tablet. I'll spend more time looking through it to gain a better understanding of how my iPad works with Lr CC.
Thank you.

I think that Iphone / Ipad focused books / documentation should have a big opening sentence clarifying that Lr can only operate on images which have been ingested to the iPhone or iPad. Lr mobile will not work with images on external storage.

I spent days trying to establish this point. If I had known for sure then I would not have bought an iPad Pro, but a more ergonomically and more suitable iPad Air.

I scanned thru so much documentation to get clarification on this point.

I think that Iphone / Ipad focused books / documentation should have a big opening sentence clarifying that Lr can only operate on images which have been ingested to the iPhone or iPad. Lr mobile will not work with images on external storage.

I spent days trying to establish this point. If I had known for sure then I would not have bought an iPad Pro, but a more ergonomically and more suitable iPad Air.

I scanned thru so much documentation to get clarification on this point.
I have an older Android tablet right now, but may snag a large iPad Pro from my dad. So can you clarify the statement about working on images on external storage? Do you have to pull photos from external storage in the photos app on the iPad before you can use them in Lr? Meaning that Lr can't access the external storage at all. Or can you pull them in Lr from external storage as an import as long as they reside on the iPad, not leaving them on external storage. Basically the workflow is either:

1) external storage -> iPad storage (Apple App) -> Lr import then remove from Apple app?
2) or it is external storage -> Lr import

The reason is that I read "will not work with images on external storage" as you can't leave them on external storage. But if Apple has it so sandboxed that you can't even pull files from the external storage from within Lr, that sucks.

Yes, that is a huge area for misunderstanding, especially for users coming from Lightroom Classic.

Such an explanation should also make clear distinctions between importing from, editing off of, and backing up edited images to external storage:
  • You can use Lightroom to import from or export to external storage…that is no problem, even on iOS now.
  • The problem is, you have no choice over Lightroom storing and editing the imported copies on the mobile device internal storage only. This means if you import from an external device, you now have two copies: The external originals, and duplicates of those originals that are now using up space on the device until they are synced up to the cloud. In Lightroom you can see only the duplicates it imported, which are on internal storage; it won’t list images stored anywhere else. So although the Lightroom Import screen can display images on external storage, after importing them to device internal storage, Lightroom goes back to not looking at external storage.
  • This also means there is no way to use external storage for backups of images you want to continue to edit and sync in Lightroom. The only way to back up edited raws from Lightroom is to export them as DNG to that external storage, but that again creates duplicates on the external storage without removing the originals from internal storage/cloud, and any images that go through Export are disconnected from Lightroom managed storage. In other words, the exported DNGs are no longer images you can edit in Lightroom, no longer synced to the cloud. All of that is because Lightroom does not support referenced files like Lightroom Classic does.
(I’ve only used iOS, so I am not sure if any of this works differently on Android…)

Good thinking, I'll make that clearer early on.
I've been so used to using Lr Classic on a 24" Mac. I'm a bit overwhelmed moving to a smaller surface and to a different layout. I agree that a few more screen prints for the tablet would be helpful for those of us who are visual learners. I believe the other issue is getting used to using my fingers on the screen. I do have a keyboard with my iPad so that helps but some keys are missing that are on my desktop keyboard. One that is missing and highly frustrating is not having the esc (escape) key. I use that a lot on my desktop to get out of actions I did not intend to do.
When looking at adding information to your Lightroom (Cloud) Edit Like a Pro you might consider the keyboard commands for various functions. I realize that this is a lot of work but it seems as tablets get more powerful they will be used more for editing.
I did look more closely at your Lightroom (Cloud).... book and it does have a wealth of information on the tablet. I'll spend more time looking through it to gain a better understanding of how my iPad works with Lr CC.
Thank you.

Ah, yes, working on mobile a very different paradigm if you've used Lightroom Classic. Have you tried the desktop version?

There aren't many keyboard shortcuts for mobile, and most people don't have a keyboard attached to a mobile device, but all of the shortcuts are listed on the table just after the index.

I'll see what I can do about some extra iPad screenshots. Might be after Max as I'm tight to deadline on the next releases at the moment. In the meantime, the main things to know about the differences are:
  • The Organize view is a left hand panel on iPad rather than taking up the whole screen (but otherwise works the same as it does on the phone).
  • In Detail view, the different view mode buttons are down the right hand side instead of a popup at the top.
  • In Detail view, the sliders etc. are panels on the right instead of scrolling down to them.
Everything else works the same way.

(I’ve only used iOS, so I am not sure if any of this works differently on Android…)

The only difference on Android is that if the device has an SD card as expansion storage, you can set that as the location for Lightroom's files. On iOS, you have to buy a device with big enough storage built in.

The only difference on Android is that if the device has an SD card as expansion storage, you can set that as the location for Lightroom's files. On iOS, you have to buy a device with big enough storage built in.

Score one for Android, usually the red headed step child left behind!

Tim

Score one for Android, usually the red headed step child left behind!

Depends how big an SD card you can get! iPads are available with huge storage as long as you know you'll need it ahead of time.

Writing a book or course on the mobile apps is a bit like shooting at a moving target. Changes soon invalidate how one explains key details, and those descriptions tend to be obscured by on this device it look this way, on this device you can't do xyz, and so on.

Do you have a good sense of the scope of LrMobile's features? And what specifically are you struggling with?

I tried to establish the limitations of Lr Mobile on iPad before purchasing a 256GB iPad Pro in advance of my first trip abroad for a long time. Despite my attempted research, I failed to grasp that Lr Mobile will not work with external storage connected to an iPad. Of course, I found this out after I purchased my iPad Pro. For a lot of scenarios, I can manage with 256GB, but there are occasions where been constrained to 256GB is just too risky.

Also, while the Ipad now accommodates quite large internal storage options, the pricing is such that the ergonomics and flexibility of a MacAir or similar might be a better all-round travelling option.

For me, the most critical component is a full understanding of the workflow of getting images from a card or camera to Lr Mobile and then the options to get the images back to Lr Classic, dealing with any admin in the interim to avoid duplicates on the iPad or on the Classic system.

I fully accept that it is not a trivial exercise to keep this information current.

Writing a book or course on the mobile apps is a bit like shooting at a moving target.

Yup! Updating Edit Like a Pro for each release is a nightmare

I tried to establish the limitations of Lr Mobile on iPad before purchasing a 256GB iPad Pro in advance of my first trip abroad for a long time. Despite my attempted research, I failed to grasp that Lr Mobile will not work with external storage connected to an iPad. Of course, I found this out after I purchased my iPad Pro. For a lot of scenarios, I can manage with 256GB, but there are occasions where been constrained to 256GB is just too risky.

Also, while the Ipad now accommodates quite large internal storage options, the pricing is such that the ergonomics and flexibility of a MacAir or similar might be a better all-round travelling option.

For me, the most critical component is a full understanding of the workflow of getting images from a card or camera to Lr Mobile and then the options to get the images back to Lr Classic, dealing with any admin in the interim to avoid duplicates on the iPad or on the Classic system.

I fully accept that it is not a trivial exercise to keep this information current.

Publicly Adobe seems to have taken the position that Lr Cloud ecosystem was never designed to truly work as an integrated platform with LrC. And this shows up in many things. The only reason any integration exists is likely because Lr Web and Lr Mobile started when they were initially part of Classic before they were spun off into their own ecosystem. I believe this was around the time when Adobe changed the import dialog in Classic in version 6; and removed functionality and while significantly dumbing down the interface. The customer uproar was rather interesting. :D

Anyway, what you are asking about, although adopted by many on here, does not seem to be the direction Adobe is taking the products or how most people use them. The number of caveats and issues with it I believe are beyond the scope of most users.

Tim

Good thinking, I'll make that clearer early on.

Ah, yes, working on mobile a very different paradigm if you've used Lightroom Classic. Have you tried the desktop version?

There aren't many keyboard shortcuts for mobile, and most people don't have a keyboard attached to a mobile device, but all of the shortcuts are listed on the table just after the index.

I'll see what I can do about some extra iPad screenshots. Might be after Max as I'm tight to deadline on the next releases at the moment. In the meantime, the main things to know about the differences are:
  • The Organize view is a left hand panel on iPad rather than taking up the whole screen (but otherwise works the same as it does on the phone).
  • In Detail view, the different view mode buttons are down the right hand side instead of a popup at the top.
  • In Detail view, the sliders etc. are panels on the right instead of scrolling down to them.
Everything else works the same way.
Victoria, Thank you for the added information. Yes, I've used Lr CC on my desktop. I may want to go back to it again. I plan to spend some time today looking more closely at the keyboard commands and other areas in your book.
I fully understand the load you're under for the forthcoming Adobe conference. I'll look forward to them when you get the time.
I have found the ability to move the command panel from the right side to the left very helpful since I'm left-handed.
Again, thank you.

Thanks for confirming, that is precisely why I threw in the disclaimer…I thought I had heard that maybe an external storage location could be set on Android.

I'll see what I can do about some extra iPad screenshots. Might be after Max as I'm tight to deadline on the next releases at the moment.
I’ve spent the last couple of weeks working on more iPad-specific instructions in Edit Like a Pro, rather than assuming you can easily convert from the general iOS instructions, so let me know what you think and what more you need in the next (mid-October) release.

I am enjoying using LR Mobil on old iPad Pro and haven’t found the 256GB storage to be an issue. Where I am struggling is when I get home, moving the raw files from the cloud to my external drive where I keep my photoS and LR Catalogue.at home in LR Classic. I have gone to preferences and checked the sync but the files don’t go where I expected and needed some challenging (to me) work to move to the correct directory on my external SSD. Going from LR Classic to the Cloud and syncing Smart Collection. Any help or direction to resources appreciated.

I have gone to preferences and checked the sync but the files don’t go where I expected and needed some challenging (to me) work to move to the correct directory on my external SSD.
There’s some details in the Cloud Sync chapter of your book, including how to set where they download to, but it sounds like you’ve already read that. Where do you have the download location set? And where are they ending up? Or why are you needing to move them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back