Virtual copy creation point in time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
OK, I know a VC is virtual, just a new list of 'changes' related to a photo. But ....
When you create a VC, it seems to be a copy of the master in its current state, not in its original state.
Is this correct ?
In the history of the VC, you find the timestamp of the creation, fine but not very useful !
But in the history of the master you find nothing, and as there is no timestamp you can't really remember at what point the VC was cretaed.
Or do I miss something ?
Bernard

Welcome to Lightroom Forums!

You're right. There are a bunch of us who believe the "fix" for this is that when you create a VC, it should inherit the history of the master rather than starting with a blank history. If you agree, vote at the official feature request forum.

Sounds like in addition to that, you'd like a new history step added to both files saying the VC was created. Feel free to suggest that one as well!

Thank you Mark for your answer.
That's a good idea, and I will vote for it.
I would indeed like to have a new history step in the master, but it looks quite difficult since the VC can have its own life, be renamed, etc..

I have another question concerning the VC.
When some changes have already been made to the master, how do you create a VC reflecting the original state of the master ?
Bernard

After creating the VC, just press Reset -- that'll reset the VC to Lightroom's defaults.

This may or may not be exactly the same thing as you mean by "original state". If you applied a Develop preset when you imported the original, Reset will not reflect that, you'd need to apply that preset again to the newly-reset VC.

After creating the VC, just press Reset -- that'll reset the VC to Lightroom's defaults.

I have a very similar question. As a new Lighroom user, I would like to "start over" and re-process my photos before I export them for use in my 2012 scrapbook (as I have learned a lot since I started :)). Is there a way to create virtual copies and reset them to the initial state for an entire folder or collection of photos? Or must one do this one photo at a time?

Welcome to our forum.
It will take you two operations but you can select blocks of images and 1. Create a virtual copy on all that are selected. 2. Then with these new virtual copies selected, Mark's reset instruction will work on all selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back