• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Viewing albums on a phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobT

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
  2. Android
I'm syncing images between Lr on a Samsung phone and LrC on the PC. It works well. I'm guessing the images on the phone are Smart Previews of the images on the PC. That's fine. However, when I'm away from home, many of the images on the phone disappear. I'm sure it's not supposed to do that. What am I doing wrong?

Lightroom on a mobile device or on the PC interacts with the Adobe Cloud. It is this middle part then you need to pay attention to. LrC syncs only with the Adobe Cloud. And images that originate from LrC only are sent to the cloud as reduced size (2560px on long side) images. This is a good thing in that it does not count against your Adobe Subscription plan limits.

Images that originate from a Lightroom mobile app are sent to the Adobe Cloud and are sent full size. These do count against your plan limits and will sync down as full size images to LrC.

Running Lightroom on my iPhone (I cam only assume the Android settings are similar). there are two places that I need to make changes in settings to get images from the Adobe Cloud to Lightroom on my phone. Im my phone cellular preferences I need to permit the Lightroom app access to down load cellular data. In Lightroom Settings I need to set the flag in Cloud storage and Sync to let Lightroom Use Cellular Data for sync.

When you are away from WIFi (i.e. not at home) Lightroom needs access to download images from the Adobe Cloud to get access to alll of your files in the Adobe cloud.

Thanks Cletus! I've set Use Celluar Data to on as you suggest. We'll see how it goes. However, I'm a bit dissapointed that these thumbnails, or whatever thay are, are not permanently stored on the phone. Places where I go do not always have cloud access.

Thanks Cletus! I've set Use Celluar Data to on as you suggest. We'll see how it goes. However, I'm a bit dissapointed that these thumbnails, or whatever thay are, are not permanently stored on the phone. Places where I go do not always have cloud access.

They need to get to the phone first. Lightroom Manages mobile devices differently from real Computers with lots of storage. There are some background task on the Mobil that manage Locally stored copies Cached files etc. Also you can set Sync to only download the smaller Smart Previews to save some storage on the mobile device. My iPhone has to Lightroom about 85GB of storage. I I stored full size images on my Phone, that would hold about 2.5 camera cards of images. On my IPadPro with one TB of storage, I have about 940GB of storage available to Lightroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

However, I'm a bit dissapointed that these thumbnails, or whatever thay are, are not permanently stored on the phone.
They can be. In the list of Albums, click on the "..." option alongside an Album name, and you will see a toggle button to "Store Locally".

They can be. In the list of Albums, click on the "..." option alongside an Album name, and you will see a toggle button to "Store Locally".
And the key is to plan ahead, i.e. store any albums locally that you might need before you set off on your trip. I have ALL my albums permanently stored locally on my phone (in Smart Preview form), so the issue of blank thumbnails never arises.

I'm syncing images between Lr on a Samsung phone and LrC on the PC. It works well. I'm guessing the images on the phone are Smart Previews of the images on the PC. That's fine. However, when I'm away from home, many of the images on the phone disappear. I'm sure it's not supposed to do that. What am I doing wrong?
Also, Bob, I installed a MicroSD card in my Samsung phone. So, I point the LR Mobile to save all the albums to it. It is 256 GB and can hold a fair bit of data. I also "Store Locally" - because I am in the bush a fair bit.

I don't have a data plan on my phone and enable this setting for certain albums - stuff I anticipate I'll want to see offline. For each album you get a confirmation which tells you have much space it'll take up, and then you'll see a little blue icon on the album thumbnail.

Also, Bob, I installed a MicroSD card in my Samsung phone. So, I point the LR Mobile to save all the albums to it. It is 256 GB and can hold a fair bit of data. I also "Store Locally" - because I am in the bush a fair bit.
I was wondering how to do that. Found it, done it and watched it download. Next time I'm in the bush, I'll check it. Thanks.

I don't suppose you know how to order images alphabetically by title or caption? That's how I have plants and animals ordered in LrC. Title for common names, caption for scientific names.

Well Bob, that is a tough one for me, I have no idea. I like how Mobile Lr works, but it has quite a bit of functions I have not yet looked at yet or used. I see filters, while sorted,, but that is it. Good luck.

I don't suppose you know how to order images alphabetically by title or caption? That's how I have plants and animals ordered in LrC. Title for common names, caption for scientific names.
I'm not sure you can.

In grid view you can tap the three dots and this gives access to sorting, but the choices are limited.

Attachments

• IMG_3204.jpg
    IMG_3204.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back