• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

videos that can't be read in Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Booth

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  2. iOS
Me again -- this adventure moving back to Lightroom has turned into a maze of rabbit holes.

A large number of my videos are now unreadable in LR:

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 5.50.23 PM.png

There is no thumbnail, and I can't open them. If I go to the file in Finder, I can read them with Quicktime.

Any idea how to fix this?

I'm having the same problem with Lightroom being unable to read videos. I've got the same software configuration. I've just recently started transitioning to Lr but am reluctant to continue because it won't recognize or import any of my videos ("There is a problem with the video file") - either from my cameras or off of disk. This has been a problem for the 4 months that I've been using Lr. The videos themselves seem to be fine. They're recognized and played with no problems using Quicktime, Photos, and even software as old and creaky as Aperture.

I've seen recommendations elsewhere that range from removing preference files or selected libraries to a complete uninstall/reinstall of Creative Cloud. I've been reluctant to muck around with this myself since I'm so new to the platform. Maybe it's time since I have relatively little invested so far. I'd sure love to hear of an easier alternative though.

So for me, some of the videos seem fine, but others not. I'll dig in to see if I can try and figure out which ones work and don't work a bit later (troubleshooting too much stuff at a time right now)

Ugh... Lightroom and video. I tried to make it work for myself but ran into the same problems as you (and more). Eventually, I gave up – which is a shame because it'd be great to have LR as my sole DAM for both, photos and videos.

Currently, I manage all my photos in LR and all my videos in Apple's iMovie, but I'm not happy with that software either.

Adobe is beta-testing a new video app called "Project Rush" right now. Unfortunately, it seems to be more of a new approach to video editing and doesn't solve the management problem (I have yet to test it in-depth, though).

After I upgraded Lightroom Classic to version 8.0 it started recognizing, importing, and then playing video both from disk and from my camera. It also kind of recognizes slow motion video shot on my iPhone X (it will import it) but there are hiccups when I try to play it. I've seen some lag when switching from loupe to grid view if there are videos in the folder but this doesn't seem to be consistent.

At any rate they've made improvements. I hope that they help in your case too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back