• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Video files not found when the Video attribute filter is applied

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill.fischer5

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have a strange problem. I have a lot of videos from my Iphone and camer's. they are in the .MOV format. Usually when i apply the Video filter to a collection they will come up in the search. for some reason I have a few that are not coming up in the search. what could cause this? Some of them may be added to two different collections. but I do not see how that could cause a problem.

One other factor that may be contributing to this issue is that I accidently included some of the videos in synced collections with LR. Is it possible that this is the problem. As i write this post I am starting to think about this. The count for that collection in LRC is 2 pictures higher than in LR. This is the same number of videos that do not filter in the collection. They do show up when no filter is set. I hope this is the issue as that is easily solved. I just do;t want to remove the from the collection and think everything is ok.

I worked with the video issue a little and find that the LRC to LR sync issue is not the problem so I deleted the video from synced collections.

However I am still faced with the issue in non synced collections. I have merged some old catalogues into my main now One and only LRC catalogue. Some of these came into the older catalogues from Aperture. I mention this but do not think that is the culpret. The all are .MOV files in finder. Some of my collections have identical videos in them which were merged from seperate old catalogues. When I use "SHOW IN FINDER". they point to the same folder and file in finder. In LRC's metadata panel they have the same file name but one has a "FINE NAME" "Copy 1". also. That is the one o0of the two that does not show up when I apply the "VIDEO" filter from the attributes bar.

Can anyone explain why only one of he showed up when I use the "VIDEO FILTER"/

If this is the result of a merged catalog, try deleting the Helper.lrdata file, it contains various references used for Keywords and Filtering and isn't reliable when you merge (Lightroom will simply generate a new one then).

thank you Paul: Will I lose the KW's when I delete the file. Or will the all come back when the new helper file is generated?

Keywords are held against the photo in the catalog. You can delete the Helper file and they stay in the catalog.

Hi Paul>. I deleted the Helper.lrdata file as you suggested. I was outside LRC when I did that. Unfortunately it made not difference.

I ran a est. I picked a collection with 22 videos. First I went to attributes and clicked on the video icon. only 11 showed. Then I cleared that filter and went to Metadata and filtered for File type. Now 22 videos are found.

I ran a test. I picked a collection with 23 videos. First I went to attributes and clicked on the video icon. only 11 showed. Then I cleared that filter and went to Metadata and filtered for File type. Now 23 videos are found.. I noticed that all of the videos that do not show up in the attributes icon filter were merged from a different catalogue tha the ones that do. . Since I had put the same video in both catalogues the file, Filename and path in finder are identical. Yet one is found, and the other is not. The only difference is that on the one that does not show up in attributes filter LRC has added a "Copy Name". which it calls "Copy 1". Looking at each photo in LRC that is the only difference I can find between the two. Oh Also I have KW's for each video that tell me which catalogue it was merged from.

"I noticed that all of the videos that do not show up in the attributes icon filter were merged from a different catalogue than the ones that do." "Some of these came into the older catalogues from Aperture."

I did a quick test with my LR 10.4, importing a catalog containing a video, and the imported video was correctly found by Attribute filter. So at least the simple case works correctly.

Is it possible that these hard-to-find videos were the ones that came from Aperture? The Aperture/iPhoto Importer plugin was poorly implemented, and I'm wondering if that's the source of this problem.

thank you John: I brought the photos into both of the catalogues that I merged a long time ago. You may be on to something. I may have used the aperture plugin on one of them and I may have imported the other on by exporting from aperture, then importing. it was almost seven years ago so I am not sure.

Is there any way I can tell LR that these are videos?

I am curious, why one filter knows they are and the other does not?

I am curious, why one filter knows they are and the other does not?
It's definitely a bug in the catalog.

Is there any way I can tell LR that these are videos?
You could try removing them from the catalog and re-importing them. But because LR never learned out to save video metadata back to the video files, you'd have to reapply your captions, keywords, etc. by hand.

Alternatively, you could try exporting your entire catalog to a new catalog and see if the new catalog still has the bug. That sometimes fixes catalog inconsistencies (but often not).

This is a large
It's definitely a bug in the catalog.

You could try removing them from the catalog and re-importing them. But because LR never learned out to save video metadata back to the video files, you'd have to reapply your captions, keywords, etc. by hand.

Alternatively, you could try exporting your entire catalog to a new catalog and see if the new catalog still has the bug. That sometimes fixes catalog inconsistencies (but often not).
This is a large catalogue over 100,000 photos. Lots of key wording and collections. Several of them are synced to LR. Do you think that itis safe to do the catalogue export with that uch information. I would hate to cause more problems.

I think that this video problem my only be happening to videos that I have a copy in the catalogue that does show. I am not sure of that . that is why I am trying to understand what is going on. the reason I have so many photos is because some of he merged catalogues had the same originals these catalogues were incomplete attempts to organize my photos. Duplicates will eventually be deleted than I should only have about 36,000 unique photos.

Since I had put the same video in both catalogues the file, Filename and path in finder are identical. ... The only difference is that on the one that does not show up in attributes filter LRC has added a "Copy Name". which it calls "Copy 1".
I read this before but just now understood the implication: The only way two entries in the catalog can have the same disk path (as shown in Finder) is if they are virtual copies. So one of the pair of videos is a virtual copy of the other. Your past import processes (either Import From Another Catalog or the Aperture/iPhoto Importer plugin) likely created the virtual copies when they detected a duplicate video already in the catalog.

I didn't know this before, but virtual copies of videos don't show the folded-corner tab in the lower-left, like VCs of photos:
1634400692790.png

There's no other clear visual indication that distinguishes video virtual copies, which seems like a design flaw.

Further confusing the matter, the Attribute filter's Kind has three buttons:
1634400980567.png

Experimentation shows the first button filters for non-virtual-copy photos, the last button filters for non-virtual-copy videos, and the middle button filters for virtual copies (both photos and videos). That's why when you click the last button, you only see some of your videos (the ones that aren't virtual copies).

To find the virtual-copy videos, use both the Metadata column browser and the Attribute > Kind button:

1634401217612.png

This is a design weirdness I never encountered before. So nothing's wrong with your catalog!

John: Thank you for doing the work to get such a clear and I believe explanation. I feel much better. I had suspected that they might be virtual copy's but as i hand not seen the corner indicator I stopped following that route. I am glad you persisted on that path. I hope that Adobe will do something about that some

John's solution resolved all my practical problems. If I just use the File Type "Video" I get the correct number of videos. I hope that Adobe addresses this issue. It is a lot easier to filter with the attribute icons when I donot need to apply any metadata filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back