• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! New cameras (including the Canon R5/R6), lens profiles and bug fixes, and the ability to disable built-in lens corrections for specific new cameras. Here's the usual list

Video export stops prematurely

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
I posted the same problem more than 3 years ago when I was using Lightroom version: CC 2015.10 [ 1111918 ] .

I don't do many video exports. Same thing is happening now.

Trying to export 13 small (largest 16MB) video files. LR 9.3 exports 7 of the 13 and then quits.

LR still says "Export 13 files" and progress bar is about at the middle.

total LR (including subtasks) CPU is <=.1%.

No LR disk activity.

Other than retry until it works and ideas?

Lightroom Classic version: 9.3 [ 202005281810-476e492c ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.18363
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 24
Processor speed: 3.8 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.30.1
Built-in memory: 65484.1 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65484.1 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2517.7 MB (3.8%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 3053.9 MB
GDI objects count: 939
USER objects count: 2581
Process handles count: 4196
Memory cache size: 854.3MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.3 [ 493 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 227MB / 32742MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 188MB / 65484MB (0%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (27.21.14.5167)

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
The first thing that I would check is available free space for working storage on the C:/ drive. Lightroom is creating temporary files in working storage and when that fills up Windows can’t continue the app until more free space is available for more temporary files.
Other app also use this free space for their temporary file and if all of the apps temporary files combined exceed the available free space, then apps hang

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
The first thing that I would check is available free space for working storage on the C:/ drive. Lightroom is creating temporary files in working storage and when that fills up Windows can’t continue the app until more free space is available for more temporary files.
Other app also use this free space for their temporary file and if all of the apps temporary files combined exceed the available free space, then apps hang

666GB free on C drive.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
666GB free on C drive.
Reboot the computer. Do not start anything except Lightroom and try to export those same 13 video files. Let me know if Lightroom hangs.

Also report the total size of all of the 13 video files in MBs.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Reboot the computer. Do not start anything except Lightroom and try to export those same 13 video files. Let me know if Lightroom hangs.

Also report the total size of all of the 13 video files in MBs.
Total size: 88MB

I have already rerun the export.

I killed the export by clicking on the 'x' next to progress bar and initiated the export again with same parameters. Chose to overwrite existing files. Didn't even bounce LR.

LR exported all 13 in about 5 seconds.

I didn't kill any other processes before rerunning.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I’ll contend that other processes (and maybe any prior work cone in Lightroom) created enough temporary files to fill up Temporary storage.
Another possibility is the number of open files and/or file handles per app is being limited by Windows

In your System info I noted that you had 4096 file handles. This is suspiciously a multiple of the power of 2 (2*12) and possibly a hard coded limit either by LrC or the OS.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I’ll contend that other processes (and maybe any prior work cone in Lightroom) created enough temporary files to fill up Temporary storage.
Another possibility is the number of open files and/or file handles per app is being limited by Windows

In your System info I noted that you had 4096 file handles. This is suspiciously a multiple of the power of 2 (2*12) and possibly a hard coded limit either by LrC or the OS.

I'm assuming you're referring to process handles from LR system info. I don't see anything labeled file handles.

I just tried the export again. checked system info just prior and it showed 5141 process handles. no problems exporting again. just after export process handles was 5270.

when you speak of "Temporary storage" are you referring to something other than available disk space or memory? I doubt either of those things filled up.

Thanks.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic

another try after LR restart. process handles 2100 before export. 7 files exported then nothing. same as original attempt.

almost immediately reran export. all files exported. process handles after 2148.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I'm assuming you're referring to process handles from LR system info. I don't see anything labeled file handles.

I just tried the export again. checked system info just prior and it showed 5141 process handles. no problems exporting again. just after export process handles was 5270.

when you speak of "Temporary storage" are you referring to something other than available disk space or memory? I doubt either of those things filled up.

Thanks.
Yes, I mean Process handles. LrC needs a process for each exported file (maybe more) In your example Lightroom consumed 129 additional handles for the video export. These may not get released until you restart LrC.

C:\TEMP is a folder for working Storage. It is there that Lightroom and other processes create temporary files. Sometimes if polite apps will delete these files after use, more often, the app will retain them until the app is quit. The Size of C:\TEMP is limited to the freespace on the C:\ drive unless you change the location of the \TEMP folder in the environment settings.

Since from your report, it is not process handles that is limiting your LrC Export and you have 666GB for freespace for C:\Temp, I can only conclude that outside processes are in some way interfering with LrCs request for system resources during the export of a large number of video files.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Yes, I mean Process handles. LrC needs a process for each exported file (maybe more) In your example Lightroom consumed 129 additional handles for the video export. These may not get released until you restart LrC.

C:\TEMP is a folder for working Storage. It is there that Lightroom and other processes create temporary files. Sometimes if polite apps will delete these files after use, more often, the app will retain them until the app is quit. The Size of C:\TEMP is limited to the freespace on the C:\ drive unless you change the location of the \TEMP folder in the environment settings.

Since from your report, it is not process handles that is limiting your LrC Export and you have 666GB for freespace for C:\Temp, I can only conclude that outside processes are in some way interfering with LrCs request for system resources during the export of a large number of video files.

I respectfully disagree and here's why.

Without restarting LR I tried the same export at least 10 more times. All attempts worked perfectly.

I then shut down and restarted LR.

Tried export again.

Same problem as original attempt. Export stalled after exporting 7 files.

This has been the same scenario all morning. First attempt after starting LR fails. Next attempt or next 10 attempts work perfectly.

And I know when export is going to work. When export will fail, progress bar gets bigger and bigger, like it does for photo exports, until it fails.

When it's going to work it appears that progress bar resets to nothing after each file. When it's processing last file it will grow to fill the whole space.