• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Video cards for AI Denoise

zeldon50

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi gang-
Forgive me if this has been posted previously (I searched without much luck). I have a PC system with Intel i7 processor, 48GB ram and a 2TB SSD card. However, I am using the onboard intel GPU. Up until now, everything ran satisfactorily. That is, until AI Denoise was introduced. It takes between 10 to 15 minutes to process a 30mb image. That doesn’t work for me. I have DXO Pureraw, which takes about a minute to process and Topaz AI Noise, which takes about the same time. However, after testing, I prefer the results from AI Denoise over the other two.
So, to my question- what video cards would allow me to see a substantial decrease in processing times in AI Denoise, (without breaking the bank)? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi gang-
Forgive me if this has been posted previously (I searched without much luck). I have a PC system with Intel i7 processor, 48GB ram and a 2TB SSD card. However, I am using the onboard intel GPU. Up until now, everything ran satisfactorily. That is, until AI Denoise was introduced. It takes between 10 to 15 minutes to process a 30mb image. That doesn’t work for me. I have DXO Pureraw, which takes about a minute to process and Topaz AI Noise, which takes about the same time. However, after testing, I prefer the results from AI Denoise over the other two.
So, to my question- what video cards would allow me to see a substantial decrease in processing times in AI Denoise, (without breaking the bank)? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
You are right, this has been dealt with at length before. I too was in your shoes with an i7 with integrated GPU (iGPU) and plenty of RAM. The iGPU does a valiant job but it simply isn't up to the AI processing requirements of AI Denoise. I installed an MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ventus discrete GPU. It brought the AI Denoise processing time down from minutes to seconds. In the Nvidia sphere, the AI capable GPS are the RTX series. Avoid the GTX series. Get the most powerful RTX GPU you can afford, that is to say, the most VRAM and particularly the most Tensor Cores. These are gaming GPUs rather than workstation GPUs but perfectly adequate for image processing and way better value for money. There are "Ti" and other overclocked versions, but I don't think much is gained by overclocking. More hardware, particularly Tensor Cores, seems to benefit AI Denoise more.

You are right, this has been dealt with at length before. I too was in your shoes with an i7 with integrated GPU (iGPU) and plenty of RAM. The iGPU does a valiant job but it simply isn't up to the AI processing requirements of AI Denoise. I installed an MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ventus discrete GPU. It brought the AI Denoise processing time down from minutes to seconds. In the Nvidia sphere, the AI capable GPS are the RTX series. Avoid the GTX series. Get the most powerful RTX GPU you can afford, that is to say, the most VRAM and particularly the most Tensor Cores. These are gaming GPUs rather than workstation GPUs but perfectly adequate for image processing and way better value for money. There are "Ti" and other overclocked versions, but I don't think much is gained by overclocking. More hardware, particularly Tensor Cores, seems to benefit AI Denoise more.
Bob-
thanks for the advice. Today I purchased a

ASUS - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Dual Overclock 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card. I don’t know how it performs with games (I don’t play any), but my AI noise times went from 10-15 minutes (depending on file size), to 10 seconds! Honestly, I couldn’t be happier. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me, my friend.​

Zeldon

Bob-
thanks for the advice. Today I purchased a

ASUS - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Dual Overclock 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card. I don’t know how it performs with games (I don’t play any), but my AI noise times went from 10-15 minutes (depending on file size), to 10 seconds! Honestly, I couldn’t be happier. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me, my friend.​

Zeldon
A good choice. I'm glad you're happy with it. The 4000 series is not that much faster than the 3000 series but being newer, are more power efficient, so good if your system is a bit low on power.
With that card, there are two Nvidia drivers available, the Studio Driver and the Game Ready Drive. I've caried out simple testing with LrC and found no different in performance. The Studio Driver may have some benefits for heavy graphics work. Other than for AI Denoise, LrC does most of its processing on the CPU anyway. The Game Ready Driver is often updated for game bugs and to support new game. For this reason, I use the Studio Driver but it doesn't matter for what we do.

Back