• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Vertical lines in images

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm now processing some photos taken November, 2017. In three photos, there are either one or two thin white vertical lines e.g.

1580861452919.png

I've never seen such lines before. The next two photos have only one line. Photos taken immediately before and after these three problem photos do not have these lines, nor have any photos taken at a later date.

1580861541457.png

Any ideas?

Phil Burton

Do you have a backup copy of the image? I am wondering if the one that was imported into LR got corrupted.

Good luck,

--Ken

I'm now processing some photos taken November, 2017. In three photos, there are either one or two thin white vertical lines e.g.
It is data corruption but, given the amount of time since they were taken/imported, it will be hard to work out if it occured while writing the the SD card, while transferring to the computer or due to a fault with the Hard Drive.

What does the preview look like in Windows Explorer?

These shots appear to be in groups of five, with different exposure compensation settings; the first is in the middle of the range, then two below that then two above. Since the time stamp is the same for all five, this is likely a sequence run by the camera itself at closely-spaced time intervals. Is it possible that something (like a car) went by that reflected into the camera? The lines move to the left in the sequence, as if the cause was moving. Don't ask me how something external to the camera could cause a line like that, however!

Also, as others have asked, when you look at the SD card directly with Windows Explorer, do you see the lines? What happens if you import them again?

These shots appear to be in groups of five, with different exposure compensation settings; the first is in the middle of the range, then two below that then two above. Since the time stamp is the same for all five, this is likely a sequence run by the camera itself at closely-spaced time intervals. Is it possible that something (like a car) went by that reflected into the camera? The lines move to the left in the sequence, as if the cause was moving. Don't ask me how something external to the camera could cause a line like that, however!

Also, as others have asked, when you look at the SD card directly with Windows Explorer, do you see the lines? What happens if you import them again?
John,

As you observed correctly, I had the camera set to bracket exposures.

I can't look at the CF card (Nikon D3 uses this card format) because these photos were taken in late 2017, and the cards have been erased and reused many times since.

This is an object lesson in the need to import photos into Lightroom and examine them critically before erasing the memory card.

Phil Burton

It is data corruption but, given the amount of time since they were taken/imported, it will be hard to work out if it occured while writing the the SD card, while transferring to the computer or due to a fault with the Hard Drive.
Dan,

Indeed it is data corruption. I just restored a copy of that file, restored in January 2018, and it shows that same data corruption. Looking at an enlarged photo in Windows Photos, the data corruption is easy to see.

1580940082503.png

I have no real way at this time to track down the source of the data corruption. Fortunately it was confined to only a few photos.

Phil,
I'm pretty sure that Windows Photos just shows you the embedded preview in the raw file. If that is the case, then the lines are in the raw data and in the jpeg preview that the camera creates. That would indicate that there was a glitch in the raw data in the camera before the embedded preview was created and before the camera wrote the nef to your CF card. My guess is that the problem would be in your camera's buffer. If it hasn't happened since, it must have been a momentary glitch. Cosmic rays?

Hal,
The white lines are the same whether viewed in Lightroom (RAW) or Windows Photos (JPG preview).

I can only hope that this glitch doesn't reappear. Nikon no longer makes spare parts available for the D3. (Excuse to upgrade? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back