• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Version 8 loses some B&W conversion options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Lehet

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic CC 8.0
Operating System
Having been a long time film user, I still think of black and white in terms of a yellow or a red filter, etc. Those options in the Quick Develop panel under presets have disappeared. In the last version they were under "Classic B&W" or some such. Any way to get those back? I don't want to fiddle with sliders in the develop panel as I'm doing quick visualizations of image potential. I should not have upgraded!

John, I am on Windows 10 and under the saved preset of Quick Develop, I can see the B&W option with the presets of B&W Landscape etc? Not sure why this is not available in the MAC version?

Having been a long time film user, I still think of black and white in terms of a yellow or a red filter, etc. Those options in the Quick Develop panel under presets have disappeared. In the last version they were under "Classic B&W" or some such. Any way to get those back? I don't want to fiddle with sliders in the develop panel as I'm doing quick visualizations of image potential. I should not have upgraded!

John, they've been hidden by default, though they are still available. To "restore" them go into the Develop module, click on the "+" at the end of the Presets panel header and select "Manage Presets". You'll see all the "Classic" filter groups are unchecked, so simply check the ones you want to have available in Quick Develop, then click on "Save". That will you give you what you want.

When they rebuilt the profile / preset system in 7.3, Adobe screwed up the B&W experience in a number of ways. I've even recorded a Hitler rant video on one aspect of this.

As Jim says, the old presets can be made available. However, note that they are based on the older process 4. Results will still be fine, but I would suggest thinking ahead.

What Adobe imagine is that the coloured filter approach will be handled through the profiles. So in Develop's right hand panel, click to open the Profile Browser, then go to the B&W group and after the meaninglessly-named 12 you will see profiles which are supposed to be based on coloured filters. While QD is handy, going to the Profile Browser is fewer clicks and you can see the image change as you move the cursor over a profile.

You can add the coloured filter profiles to the favourites, reducing your clicks, and save them as presets too, which you would then see in QD.

Attachments

• SNAG-0001.png
    SNAG-0001.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 235
Thank you very much! Over the next couple of days I'll be pounding on the print module, then next week back to working with image interpretation a bit more. You've made that something to look forward to.

When they rebuilt the profile / preset system in 7.3, Adobe screwed up the B&W experience in a number of ways. I've even recorded a Hitler rant video on one aspect of this.

As Jim says, the old presets can be made available. However, note that they are based on the older process 4. Results will still be fine, but I would suggest thinking ahead.

What Adobe imagine is that the coloured filter approach will be handled through the profiles. So in Develop's right hand panel, click to open the Profile Browser, then go to the B&W group and after the meaninglessly-named 12 you will see profiles which are supposed to be based on coloured filters. While QD is handy, going to the Profile Browser is fewer clicks and you can see the image change as you move the cursor over a profile.

You can add the coloured filter profiles to the favourites, reducing your clicks, and save them as presets too, which you would then see in QD.
I'm not an overly sensitive guy....but Hitler rant seems like a thoughtless statement.....alot of people including me have very small families because of him.

I'm not an overly sensitive guy....but Hitler rant seems like a thoughtless statement.....alot of people including me have very small families because of him.

"Meme" might be a better choice of word.

Me too. I never knew my grandparents or many uncles and aunts and cousins.

Phil Burton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back