• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Version 2015.2.1 has the potential t corrupt the LR catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
After updating to LR 2015.2.1 I started getting problems starting LR and exiting LR I could only exit LR using the Force Quit.option in OS X. Once when restarting LR I got a Message that the catalog was in an unstable state (a very worrisome message to receive BTW) Below is the gist of the conversation I've had on Adobe forums.
Note the response from the "Sr. Computer Scientist" (highlighted in blue)

The Link to the Adobe thread is here
[h=1]Lightroom: CC 2015.2.1 on MacOS 10.11 crashes on start up Won't exit when it does start.
[/h]

I updated LR2015.1 to 2015.2.1 after downgrading 2015.2 back to 2015.1.
2015.2.1 crashed every time it starts and thens can be restarted after the initial crash. When Exiting, LR does not exit and I must force quite each time to get out of the too after waiting as much as 15 minutes for the program to exit normally.
Often I need to clear the lock file to restart LR.

Why not pull the 2015.2.x update UNTIL you have thoroughly tested the new code and quit forcing loyal users to bug test your code.

Version Lightroom version: CC 2015.2.1 [ 1046594 ]

• OK, this is an issue still being investigated by the Lightroom team. They couldn't get to the bottom of it quickly enough for the 6.2.1 update, but are still working to figure it out.

I sent a note to the engineer working on it, in case he needs more information from you to help narrow it down.

• Cletus Lee
    Who made the decision that releasing a known flawed compile was better than not releasing any fix? Pretty damned stupid. I've gone from a poorly functioning LR version 2015.2 to a non functioning LR version 2015.2.1 that leave my catalog in an unstable state. I think you need to warn LR users that the potential is there that LR2015,2,1 can corrupt their LR catalog. I will certainly see that people on LR Forums.net are aware that potential for a corrupt catalog exists.

Well I guess that I should read your blog more often ;-). If you had posted a note here, I would not be in my current predicament

I know, kicking myself. I posted it on every social media network but forgot to put it up as an announcement here. I'm trying to set up an automated way of showing my blog posts here to remove the user error element ;) so would love your feedback on whether it's useful.

It would have been better if that warning had come from Adobe and not you.

No arguments here!

I still have no good feeling about my original Master that produced the warning message.
I've seen that error on many an occasion (I break builds regularly!!) and haven't corrupted my catalog to date, so if it was me, I'd comfortably use the October 6th version. I'm happy to forward it to the magician and get him to check it out. He might have his hands full this week.... :D

Well I guess that I should read your blog more often ;-).

I was about to point that, thanks I am a subscriber, I received a warning by email from Victoria's Blog not to upgrade on October 5th mid afternoon EDT (Montreal). But Victoria replied first just above.

As to warn here, I think the blog is more appropriate but also, she only work 18h/day isn't she? :sneaky:

Thanks for the warning Victoria. As I was working on a job with a deadline, it is only yesterday that I made the upgrade to El Capitan. So, I am still on CC 2015.1.1 (1032027) anf so far so good...

Last edited:
I am running El Capitan and still on Lightroom CC2015.1.1 (having heeded Victoria's warning email/blog, when I was on holiday). However, have just tried to exit LR and it has been ignoring me for half an hour or so, so I guess my only option is to Force Quit. (Am new to Macs, so not quite certain how traumatic that might be!)

Now it is getting quite hard for the non-guru type of user to follow all of these shenanigans, BUT does my particular circumstance not point the finger more at Apple than Adobe? Or am I missing something in all of this?

If anyone replies, can they also confirm that it is not the end of the world to Force Quit, please.

Ian

If you're definitely still on 2015.1.1, then it's not a known issue, but it's not the end of the world, don't worry. That IS, on the other hand, a known issue with 2015.2.1, although without a known cause so far!

attachment.php

It's definitely CC2015.1.1. I have used LR probably about 10 times since upgrading to El Capitan, without problem: the issue of not Quitting has only happened once, and that was today.

Ian

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 16.07.42.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 16.07.42.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 543
Last edited by a moderator:
I personally find the action of Adobe in releasing ( Maybe "escaped" might be a better description. ) This Lightroom version reckless in the extreme if only because a critical module had been so heavily redesigned and was released for download sans notice to LR's users. To release the software knowing that there was a serious bug is beyond the pale. Totally irresponsible and speaks volumns about the reguard Or lack thereof Adobe has for its customer base. This can happen when a company holds itself in such high reguard... Its customers... Not so much.
Here is the latest statement from on high:

Adobe has issued an apology over the 'significant crashing bug' introduced in Lightroom 6.2. The latest version of the software was released last Monday, and brought with it a redesigned import experience. That new experience, unfortunately, also introduced instability into Lightroom and removed some import functions; users reported issues with the software crashing and running poorly.
Adobe's Tom Hogarty issued the apology on Friday, revealing that Adobe was aware of the issues but due to 'the scope of the bug' being unclear, the company decided to ship the software regardless while continuing to 'search for a reproducible case.' Adobe issued a new update on Friday, version 6.2.1, that corrects the problem.
Hogarty also commented on the import changes, saying:
'We made decisions on sensible defaults and placed many of the controls behind a settings panel. At the same time we removed some of our very low usage features to further reduce complexity and improve quality. These changes were not communicated properly or openly before launch. Lightroom was created in 2006 via a 14 month public beta in a dialog with the photography community. In making these changes without a broader dialog I’ve failed the original core values of the product and the team.'
He promised that Adobe will 'work hard to earn your trust back' with future releases.

Where can I see the apology? I have yet to see it on on of the threads/forums I follow.
That might encourage me to reconsider dropping Lr give them a few months to see where they go and give up learning on Capture One for now.

Tim

Where can I see the apology? I have yet to see it on on of the threads/forums I follow.
That might encourage me to reconsider dropping Lr give them a few months to see where they go and give up learning on Capture One for now.

Tim

Tim, you need to bookmark the Lightroom Journal blog, it's where all the significant Lightroom and Camera Raw announcements are made.

I personally find the action of Adobe in releasing ( Maybe "escaped" might be a better description. ) This Lightroom version reckless in the extreme if only because a critical module had been so heavily redesigned and was released for download sans notice to LR's users. To release the software knowing that there was a serious bug is beyond the pale. Totally irresponsible and speaks volumns about the reguard Or lack thereof Adobe has for its customer base. This can happen when a company holds itself in such high reguard... Its customers... Not so much.
Here is the latest statement from on high:

Adobe has issued an apology over the 'significant crashing bug' introduced in Lightroom 6.2. The latest version of the software was released last Monday, and brought with it a redesigned import experience. That new experience, unfortunately, also introduced instability into Lightroom and removed some import functions; users reported issues with the software crashing and running poorly.
Adobe's Tom Hogarty issued the apology on Friday, revealing that Adobe was aware of the issues but due to 'the scope of the bug' being unclear, the company decided to ship the software regardless while continuing to 'search for a reproducible case.' Adobe issued a new update on Friday, version 6.2.1, that corrects the problem.
Hogarty also commented on the import changes, saying:
'We made decisions on sensible defaults and placed many of the controls behind a settings panel. At the same time we removed some of our very low usage features to further reduce complexity and improve quality. These changes were not communicated properly or openly before launch. Lightroom was created in 2006 via a 14 month public beta in a dialog with the photography community. In making these changes without a broader dialog I’ve failed the original core values of the product and the team.'
He promised that Adobe will 'work hard to earn your trust back' with future releases.

As a result of this debacle I am trying a trial of Capture One. If Adobe fixes all of the issues including the incredibly slow speed, and import functionality I will probably hang with LR, but I am seriously considering switching. They are just so d^%n customer hostile!!!

Last edited:
As a result of this debacle I am trying a trial of Capture One. If Adobe fixes all of the issues including the incredibly slow speed, and import functionality I will probably hang with LR, but I am seriously considering switching. They are just so d^%n customer hostile!!!

Let me know how is goes. I started watching some training videos on Capture One to get an idea; but did not download it.
Then Tom from Adobe posted enough of an apology that I am going to give them a couple months to see if they fix it before I start looking for an alternative to Lr.

Tim

I wonder if the yellow banner on this web site ought to recommend against installation of this update. It might even be the kind of thing an email blast would be welcomed.

I wonder if the yellow banner on this web site ought to recommend against installation of this update. It might even be the kind of thing an email blast would be welcomed.

Yellow banner is up - good idea.

I can't send an email blast because users haven't signed up for updates like this and it'll get our emails blacklisted, but there is another email going out to my mailing list tonight/tomorrow.

Let me know how is goes. I started watching some training videos on Capture One to get an idea; but did not download it.
Then Tom from Adobe posted enough of an apology that I am going to give them a couple months to see if they fix it before I start looking for an alternative to Lr.

Tim

Tim,

My CC subscription expires soon and I am going to let it lapse. I have gone back to LR 5.7 (perpetual license) so I can use my existing LR library. I am making the switch to COP for all new shoots. It looks like 90% of what I do in PS can be done with Pixelmator... I am digging COP!!! In an unscientific comparison it looks like to me that COP's raw converter is nicer than LR's.

jms

PS. I would have never switched to LR had Apple not killed Aperture :mad:

Last edited:
JMS,

I use Lr significantly more for managing and viewing photos then editing. I have yet to use PhotoShop and really do not have an interest in it. I do not do that much post processing work. I have focused more on getting the photo correct in the camera, and limiting the post processing to minor tasks. e.g. Cropping, gradient and radial filters to fix shadows, red eye...

Since this is just a hobby, I average only about 20-30 minutes a day working in Lr; so I am much more hesitant to switch.

Lastly, be careful with Capture One in terms of raw processing. From what I have read/researched, Capture One just defaults with much higher sharpness and other factors preset; where Adobe has selected a much more neutral look. The real question is not what you start with, but what you end with; and the difference in time and effort to get there.

Tim

JMS,

I use Lr significantly more for managing and viewing photos then editing. I have yet to use PhotoShop and really do not have an interest in it. I do not do that much post processing work. I have focused more on getting the photo correct in the camera, and limiting the post processing to minor tasks. e.g. Cropping, gradient and radial filters to fix shadows, red eye...

Since this is just a hobby, I average only about 20-30 minutes a day working in Lr; so I am much more hesitant to switch.

Lastly, be careful with Capture One in terms of raw processing. From what I have read/researched, Capture One just defaults with much higher sharpness and other factors preset; where Adobe has selected a much more neutral look. The real question is not what you start with, but what you end with; and the difference in time and effort to get there.

Tim

Tim,

I get all of that, and usually (not always) one should start with a properly exposed and well composed image. But what can be done in post is just short of magical, it lets me create what my minds eye sees and frees the creative process from the limitations of the camera.

Adobe is simply no longer going to be a part of my creative process (moving forward)...

jms

Last edited:
Been away and on my travels and returning find that daft import interface - all my mages are ticked with a BIG tick - why is it telling me these images images need a BIG tick on them,?

I now it could mean they are IN the catalogue already, or perhaps it means they are lovely - but how does it know that?

Stupid stupid changes - It was just right before Grrr

and...
now LR wants to sign me into LR mobile. How do I stop it doing this? (In prefs Im not 'joined')

What used to be a little check box is not a "BIG tick" There is some missing functionality that was an oversize and a version 6.3 that is supposed to fix the import glitches and will include a Luddite option to return to the original Import dialog.
For now, if you prefer the original import dialog, you can roll back to 6.1.1 using these instructions: How do I roll back to Lightroom 2015.1.1 or Lightroom 6.1.1?

OS X 10.11.0 does not play well. You will need to install the OS bug fix –10.11.1 to get the best compatibility with LR6.x. So, make sure that your OS is up to date.

Check to make sure that you have not installed a LRCC or trial version, because there are no requirements or even options to let you use LR Mobile. You do have to log-in to validate your perpetual license. Perhaps this is what is being requested of you.

....and a version 6.3 that is supposed to fix the import glitches and will include a Luddite option to return to the original Import dialog.

You might be making a wrong assumption there, Cletus. My reading of the situation is for a complete reversal of the import process back to the pre-6.2 state, i.e. not the new import with an option to use the old.....just the old process back again..

You might be making a wrong assumption there, Cletus. My reading of the situation is for a complete reversal of the import process back to the pre-6.2 state, i.e. not the new import with an option to use the old.....just the old process back again..
I hope I'm not. Aside from the missing functionality, there is little wrong with the new interface. The original import is confusing and disjointed it is little wonder that New LR users begin so confused.

Hi Jim,

The wording was not quite clear to me. They definitely stated that they were bringing back the missing functions but it was not quite so clear, at least to me, how that would be implemented. I suspect that the Import was substantially rewritten which may account for the crashing bug. Given the nature of software development it is probably going to be a lot easier to add the missing parts back to the new code base than to revert back. Just a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) on my part.

I will be curious to see exactly how that happens.

-louie

I guess we'll find out in due course.

Personally, I didn't see anything wrong with the old import process, I never could understand why people found it difficult. But given that apparently so many potential users were put off by it, then clearly Adobe had to change it. I had no real problems with the new process (though I didn't see how it actually solved the apparent problem), and I was a little disappointed at the decision to make a 180 degree u-turn. I also had no issue with the "missing functionality", some of which should never have been in Lightroom in the first place, IMO (then there would have been much less of an outcry).

What used to be a little check box is not a "BIG tick" There is some missing functionality that was an oversize and a version 6.3 that is supposed to fix the import glitches and will include a Luddite option to return to the original Import dialog.
For now, if you prefer the original import dialog, you can roll back to 6.1.1 using these instructions: How do I roll back to Lightroom 2015.1.1 or Lightroom 6.1.1?

OS X 10.11.0 does not play well. You will need to install the OS bug fix –10.11.1 to get the best compatibility with LR6.x. So, make sure that your OS is up to date.

Check to make sure that you have not installed a LRCC or trial version, because there are no requirements or even options to let you use LR Mobile. You do have to log-in to validate your perpetual license. Perhaps this is what is being requested of you.

I'm on 10.11.1

to me this is a BIG tick (proportional to the size of the image it covers)
attachment.php

I'm using the same version I have been using for months and about says it's 6.2.1, thats all, so Im not sure how to find out more about what type it is. Didn't do this before.
attachment.php

It tells me that if I log out from adobe then I will lose the ability to use it

I preferred the previous import UI because to me it was pretty obvious how to use it, and that's despite my not being very good at grasping new things. I don't think that makes me a luddite, which is a disparaging term.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 18.20.53.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 18.20.53.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 541
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 18.26.42.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 18.26.42.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 493
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back