• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Version 10.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

prc_forums-icloud

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
About 30 minutes ago I updated to version 10.4 after receiving the usual notification message. I updated Lightroom, Photoshop and Camera Raw as per usual with no drama. However, when I restarted Lightroom I was presented with an Adobe Creative Cloud login screen. I didn't want to log in as I hate anything running in the background when I'm editing as my computeres resources are scant enough as it is. Alas, as soon as I closed the login window, the whole Lightroom app closed too! Am I right in thinking the dictators at Adobe are now insisting that we are logged in before their apps will work or is there a setting I need to change? I love Lightroom but really, REALLY hate the controlling nature of Adobe. If there was an alternative as good, I'd be off like a rat up a drainpipe.

You've had to be logged in for years, 2015 maybe. You can log in then quit the CC app if you don't want it in the background though.

Solution
Well I'm blowed! I've been a Lightroom user for donkeys years and I've never come across that before. I like to turn on my computer and get to work rather than bugger around with settings etc, thats why I switched to Mac years back although I notice now I'm having to do constant app updates. I know I'm a crusty old fart but I do wish things could be left alone for just a bit longer :) Thanks Victoria

I discovered recently that ACC is necessary to get sync to work with the cloud. ACC starts up for me every time I boot up. For some reason ACC stopped while I was out of town. When it did my Cloud syncs down to Lightroom Classic stopped until I restarted ACC.

Adobe is no more controlling than any other app that uses the cloud. Dropbox, Google Drive, anti-malware, Microsoft, your mail client and Apple (especially Apple) all run daemons in the background, periodically touching base with the "mothership". I think you are naive to think that Adobe is the only app on your computer trying to control your computer.

I discovered recently that ACC is necessary to get sync to work with the cloud. ACC starts up for me every time I boot up. For some reason ACC stopped while I was out of town. When it did my Cloud syncs down to Lightroom Classic stopped until I restarted ACC.

Adobe is no more controlling than any other app that uses the cloud. Dropbox, Google Drive, anti-malware, Microsoft, your mail client and Apple (especially Apple) all run daemons in the background, periodically touching base with the "mothership". I think you are naive to think that Adobe is the only app on your computer trying to control your computer.
My concern is the 'controlling' nature of Adobe over and above other software providers. It seems to me that Adobe try much harder to make me do things their way. The world is currently full of organisations and individuals that want me to conform because it suits them. That's arse about face as far as I'm concerned, they should make their products suit me. But hey ho, such is life and I'm not getting bent out of shape over it. In 25 years (I hope at least) I'll be gone and it won't matter anyway :)

Can I assume that you don’t use Facebook, Google, Twitter and Instagram, Amazon etc?

Adobe only expects you to accept their terms if you CHOOSE to use their product. The same is true of all of the others. Growing up in an era like you and I did, prior to the internet services watching over our lives, it is understandable that having tasted freedom, we might be a little objectionable. However, these services come with a price. Younger generations have not known a world without Big Brother. So, they are more easily led like sheep. I for one, am willing to pay the price up to a point.

You just need to understand that there is a price and that you can always walk away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adobe is no more controlling than any other app that uses the cloud. Dropbox, Google Drive, anti-malware, Microsoft, your mail client and Apple (especially Apple) all run daemons in the background, periodically touching base with the "mothership".
Also, although all those companies install a large number of background processes, at least on my Mac most of them just sit there doing nothing (most less than 0.1% CPU each, or even 0%) until they are needed to update a sync or fetch new emails. Although they report that they are using RAM, on a modern system if they are not active that RAM is likely either compressed or swapped to VM…leaving the real RAM available for what you are doing right now, like editing photos.

Sure, it would be nicer and reduce the complexity of the system if they would not run all that stuff constantly. But even on my 3-year-old computer, those mostly idle background processes do not noticeably impact the performance of the foreground processes.

Can I assume that you don’t use Facebook, Google, Twitter and Instagram, Amazon etc?

Adobe only expects you to accept their terms if you CHOOSE to use their product. The same is true of all of the others. Growing up in an era like you and I did, prior to the internet services watching over our lives, it is understandable that having tasted freedom, we might be a little objectionable. However, these services come with a price. Younger generations have not known a world without Big Brother. So, they are more easily led like sheep. I for one, am willing to pay the price up to a point.

You just need to understand that there is a price and that you can always walk away.

I will add something to what Cletus wrote, which is all correct and germane.

Adobe simply wants to track licenses and to update your software. Unlike some other well known software or websites, Adobe doesn't track your activity across the web, doesn't sell your personal info to other companies for marketing purposes, and isn't always sending you messages to link up with other Adobe users or to remind you to use their products (if you haven't done so in a few days.) As far as I can tell, Adobe is focused on revenue and profits.

I can't believe it that I am actually defending Adobe, but fair is fair.

Phil Burton

I cannot see Adobe reverting back to a perpetual licence module any time soon. On the other hand, the current pricing of Lr and Ps is one of the best values for money you will get, even if you dislike the subscription model. As a prior petpetual Lr and Photoshop and Creative Suite user, the current subscription is substantially cheaper than occasionally (eg every second update) updating my perpetual licensed software. The main tasks of the Adobe background tasks are to make sure you are you and that your subscription is current. The other main task is to synch what images you choose to the Adobe CloudYour Lr Desktop and Photoshop apps run on your desktop and not in the cloud.

It is annoying from time to time to have to log in to Adobe, but you have to log in to your email / internet provider to get your emails and internet connectivity, Facebook for Facebook functionality, etc.

Having said all of that, you can check on your PC or Mac what services are running in the background. As someone who has built a new machine and reinstalled all my old apps, I was horrified how many background services were running in the background. I turned off most of these, but left on the Adobe and Microsoft (and some others).

Isn't it a shame there are no Adobe lovers on this forum? ;)

This is probably the least biased forum for Adobe products that you will find on the web. Few here have any connection to Adobe and all of the Gurus are volunteers.

I cannot see Adobe reverting back to a perpetual licence module any time soon.
Agreed. Adobe seems to have migrated almost all of its software to subscriptions, and that assures a predictable revenue stream, which Wall Street loves.

This is probably the least biased forum for Adobe products that you will find on the web. Few here have any connection to Adobe and all of the Gurus are volunteers.

"Probably the least biased"? You may be right but it's a low bar. Regardless this is still a good place to get answers and that's why I'm a subscriber.

like @clee01l says. This product has great strength and following.
I have my 6.14, as well as PS CS6 with MetaRAW, running well for me and a 'crippled' (no subscription paid) copy of v10.1 which I use for catalogs.
If you dont like subscriptions then there is an alternative route but IMHO there is no better catalog than the LR catalog. It is a shame that I miss out on the wonders of the new LR features but I dont do subscriptions for anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back