• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Verion 8.4 indicators of GPU Acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi,

I have seen on other websites that there are indicators that show whether the GPU acceleration is basic or full acceleration. Four colored squares in top right of the main image window in Develop module and a "lightning bolt" in the histogram box. I have full acceleration enabled, but see I don't see anything. I'm I missing something?

I rebooted the machine & I now see the "lightning bolt" to indicate that the photo was processed in a version prior to version 5, but I still don't see the "four colored squares ".

Full acceleration may not be on by default. Go to Preferences—>Performance. At the top you should see something like Use Graphics Processor follow by an option selector set to Auto. Change from Auto to Custom. That will give you the option to turn on the GPU for image processing…not just display jobs. When you turn that on below it will say something like max GPU acceleration is now on. This is where having a higher end GPU could start to make a difference in Lr Classic.

I have seen on other websites that there are indicators that show whether the GPU acceleration is basic or full acceleration. Four colored squares in top right of the main image window in Develop module and a "lightning bolt" in the histogram box. I have full acceleration enabled, but see I don't see anything. I'm I missing something?
You shouldn't expect to see any "coloured squares" in the Develop module with the general release. They may have been used by Adobe during pre-release testing, but removed for the public release. As @mcasan posted, check the Performance tab of your Preferences to check the status of GPU acceleration on your system.

All of this begs the question of what is the easiest way to move previous years of raw images that use older process versions....to version 5? One year at a time synch a version 5 image to all the other images in that year...makeing sure only the version is to be synched?

What I did to move all images to V5 is to go to Library and select the top level folder. Then do an Edit->Select All. Then go Photo->Develop Settings->Update to Current Version. That moved all my images to version 5 in a few seconds. You will see a process bar at the top left.

Of course we are not required to move old images to version 5. We just need to do that if we want acceleration to happen for both display and editing for those images.

Updated all images to V5 yesterday. Today having Lr update all 1:1 previews since older images where not using V5 and there can be differences. in the look between V5 and older process versions.

Umm... going from V4 to V5 (and maybe it was V3) was fine, but if you had older images on older versions you just screwed up their look. The earliest versions were not upward compatible, the appearance changes a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back