• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Ventura and LrC...Importing images from Canon camera with USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard Smith

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 12.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I have seen a few posts where folks can't import using Ventura with Nikon cameras by USB cable.

Does this also apply to Canon cameras as I haven't seen any posts regarding this combination?

Wouldn't want to update to Ventura only to find an issue.

Cheers

Bernard

The recommendation is to Never use the camera as a card reader for importing into Lightroom. The camera brand is not the issue.

First, it drains charge cycles from the camera battery meaning that you need to replace the (expensive) battery sooner.
Second As the battery drains, the ability to move files across the USB connection often fails.
Third, you must always start the process with a fully charged battery to avoid #2.

My advice is to purchase a dedicated card reader, Preferably one that plugs directly into a USB port not requiring a dodgy cheap USB cable.

I have not heard of Nikon issues with Ventura and cameras as cardreaders. That said, I have been importing using a dedicated card reader and my Nikon XQD or CF Express cards without no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no knowledge of other camera models suffering this issue. Possibly not many people import this way and have therefore not found the problem.I use both methods, a cable permanently plugged into the iMac 24" also I have a SD card reader plugged in.
However sometimes I only shoot 5-10 photos and since it's easier to plug the lead into the side of the Pen F that's why I was so concerned that it had failed.
Since it is now working OK I can only assume that at some point Apple or Adobe has fixed the issue.
Scroll down on the Home page of this site and you will find a section.
Lightroom and macOS 13 Ventura Compatibility
Click this and see if any updated info

Rob
Ventura 13.1 and Adobe 12.1 Release.
Rob

That bug is now marked as fixed. The issue of tethering Nikon is still open, but that's a different issue.

Do yourself a favor and remember the two Golden Rules of Photography. This has nothing to do with LR:

1. Never charge your battery in-camera. Buy a USB-C dumb mount for any type of battery you have (check out Nitecore which has a dumb USB-C battery mount for every type of camera). Connect the mount to a new 65 Watt (Anker is a great brand) USB C & A PD charger that has 3 ports (2 USB-C and 1 USB-A) and it can be used to simultaneously charge all of your device - phone, tablet, camera batter, watch, and even an overnight charge on your laptop. Then you are traveling with one charger and three (new) cables and it fast charges everything you own with one beautiful tiny little GAN charger. Everyone should have one of these amazing new intelligent chargers (get the latest because the circuitry has steadily improved on distributing the flow to all connected charging devices, so they are all optimal).

2. Don't import files to your computer or LR by connecting your computer to the camera. Get a card reader for your card type and use it. Make sure the cable is new and keep it under 3 feet. Use a new card. Throw away your old cards. Don't go cheap on the card and get a fast and good one (like Sony Tough or Sandisk Extreme Pro among others). Throw away all your old cables. Pay attention to the specs of the ports on your laptop and desktop and get the best connectivity you can for the connection. Make it part of your workflow and throw away all the cables that came with your camera to hook it directly to the computer and never do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back