• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Using Wacom tablet on crop tool with LR Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackyardSilver

Author of Getting Started in Stock Photography
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 9.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm a keen user of a Wacom tablet with both LR and PS and keep seeing an annoying effect in LR Classic with the crop tool. I can use the pen to move sliders without much issue (you always need to be careful to lift the pen vertically away from the tablet when you have finished the move), but with the crop tool I often get a jumpy response when I stop moving one of the sides or the corners. So I move the corner to the desired place, raise the pen but then the corner of the crop jumps quite a distance away from where I am and I have to move the crop back to where I wanted it again. Frustrating! In PS I don't really have the same issue.

Anyone else seen this in LR with a tablet and pen?

Steve

This has always been a problem with any brand of pen tablet. It’s difficult to release a drag without the stylus tip moving a little bit, which can screw up slider drags, crops, etc. For precision work it's often easier to control a mouse or trackpad, because you can pull your hand off it and the pointer will stay put. That leads to some possible workarounds, especially if you have a recent Wacom Intuos Pro tablet:
  • If your Wacom tablet lets you use multi-touch gestures on the tablet, try using touch for precision work such as cropping instead of the stylus.
  • If your Wacom tablet doesn’t have a trackpad or the touch feature doesn’t work well, see if the settings provide a Precision Mode. In Precision Mode, the tablet controls a small area of the screen around the pointer. Precision Mode might be less “jumpy.” The Wacom software lets you toggle Precision Mode in many ways; you can assign it to an ExpressKey on the tablet, to one of the assignable pop-up menus, or to a button on your stylus.
  • You can use a non-Wacom mouse or trackpad along with the tablet, and use the mouse or trackpad for precision work.
For sliders, I tend not to drag them. Instead I click in the value field and use the up/down arrow keys to move the value (or Shift-up arrow/Shift-down arrow for larger increments). I feel like I have more precise control that way. But if you don’t like pressing keys to adjust options, the sliders are another good place to use Precision Mode with your Stylus.

Excellent!! I hadn't explored that as fully as I should have and now have set up the express keys to allow me to just select the main display for editing in LR and also to enable precision mode when I need it! Just goes to show that you should explore the settings for your various tools!!

Thanks

Steve

This has always been a problem with any brand of pen tablet. It’s difficult to release a drag without the stylus tip moving a little bit, which can screw up slider drags, crops, etc. For precision work it's often easier to control a mouse or trackpad, because you can pull your hand off it and the pointer will stay put. That leads to some possible workarounds, especially if you have a recent Wacom Intuos Pro tablet:
  • If your Wacom tablet lets you use multi-touch gestures on the tablet, try using touch for precision work such as cropping instead of the stylus.
  • If your Wacom tablet doesn’t have a trackpad or the touch feature doesn’t work well, see if the settings provide a Precision Mode. In Precision Mode, the tablet controls a small area of the screen around the pointer. Precision Mode might be less “jumpy.” The Wacom software lets you toggle Precision Mode in many ways; you can assign it to an ExpressKey on the tablet, to one of the assignable pop-up menus, or to a button on your stylus.
  • You can use a non-Wacom mouse or trackpad along with the tablet, and use the mouse or trackpad for precision work.
For sliders, I tend not to drag them. Instead I click in the value field and use the up/down arrow keys to move the value (or Shift-up arrow/Shift-down arrow for larger increments). I feel like I have more precise control that way. But if you don’t like pressing keys to adjust options, the sliders are another good place to use Precision Mode with your Stylus.
Conrad,

Just wondering if you have ever considered the Shuttle Pro as a replacement for the Wacom tablet, or a supplement. Contour Design ShuttlePRO v2 - NLE Multimedia Controller (Black)

Phil Burton

Just wondering if you have ever considered the Shuttle Pro as a replacement for the Wacom tablet, or a supplement. Contour Design ShuttlePRO v2 - NLE Multimedia Controller (Black)
I thought about it Phil, especially since I do some video editing. But since I starting using a Wacom Intuos Pro that has a Touch Ring, I can use the ring as a jog/shuttle wheel, and the tablet also has the assignable keys, so it’s close enough that I don’t feel like spending another $100.

I figured out just now that I can use the Wacom Touch Ring in the same way one might use the Contour Shuttle: I can set up the Touch Ring so that it sends up/down arrow key presses when rotated clockwise/counterclockwise. In the Develop module, I can position the pointer over a slider and turn the Touch Ring, and the slider moves smoothly. And now that Lightroom Classic is using the GPU a lot more in Develop, the visual feedback as the slider moves is almost real time. This is pretty cool!

(I’ve only had this latest model Wacom for a short time; I held off buying it until it went on sale this month. To replace the more primitive Wacom tablet I had been using for 15 years or so.)

I thought about it Phil, especially since I do some video editing. But since I starting using a Wacom Intuos Pro that has a Touch Ring, I can use the ring as a jog/shuttle wheel, and the tablet also has the assignable keys, so it’s close enough that I don’t feel like spending another $100.

I figured out just now that I can use the Wacom Touch Ring in the same way one might use the Contour Shuttle: I can set up the Touch Ring so that it sends up/down arrow key presses when rotated clockwise/counterclockwise. In the Develop module, I can position the pointer over a slider and turn the Touch Ring, and the slider moves smoothly. And now that Lightroom Classic is using the GPU a lot more in Develop, the visual feedback as the slider moves is almost real time. This is pretty cool!

(I’ve only had this latest model Wacom for a short time; I held off buying it until it went on sale this month. To replace the more primitive Wacom tablet I had been using for 15 years or so.)
Conrad,

I've been on the fence (for too long ...) about getting either a Shuttle Pro or a Wacom tablet. I didn't know that Wacom has a touch ring. (Thank you!) Which model Wacom tablet did you get? From which store?

Phil

I got the Wacom Intuos Pro small, the only size I’ve used in the past as well.

The retail price is usually USD$249, but I had seen $199 deals around the holidays and since it wasn’t an urgent purchase I would wait so I could save 20%. This month it turned up at $199 at B&H, Adorama, and Amazon. I ordered it from B&H, but I just checked and the $199 deal is still in effect in all three stores, for now.

You might want to make sure you’re getting the current PTH-460. A few months ago a number of stores were blowing out the old model for less, but I wanted the size and feature set of the current model.

What a great and, of course, well written post. It`s so useful…

I got the Wacom Intuos Pro small, the only size I’ve used in the past as well.

The retail price is usually USD$249, but I had seen $199 deals around the holidays and since it wasn’t an urgent purchase I would wait so I could save 20%. This month it turned up at $199 at B&H, Adorama, and Amazon. I ordered it from B&H, but I just checked and the $199 deal is still in effect in all three stores, for now.

You might want to make sure you’re getting the current PTH-460. A few months ago a number of stores were blowing out the old model for less, but I wanted the size and feature set of the current model.
Conrad,

Did I already say that I just order the Intuos Small Pro from B&H. It should arrive within a week. I'm excited to up my game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back