• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Using the DNG Profile editor at high ISOs (or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRList001

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
'Morning all

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to use Adobe's profile editor at high ISOs?

I am finding that the noise level causes the auto feature (chart tab) to fail, it comes up and tells me that my grey isn't grey enough.

If I move the four targets around slightly I can sometimes get it to run, which suggests to me the software could use a tweak so it averages over a wider area but in the end at the higher ISOs it just won't work.

Given that the corrections at lower ISOs are very small, it is the higher ISOs that interest me more.

All suggestions welcome.

I treat those profiles as a starting point, just to see what the engineers think is the correct way to go. Sometimes the engineers agree with me, sometimes not. Noise reduction has gotten so good, however, that I worry it about as among the last things I do. I learned a trick recently that made the noise slider work even better. Under Sharpening, click on the option or alt key while using the Mask slider. The screen goes white and black and reveals where the noise is happening, and can disappear, leaving the sharp edges intact. In addition there are third-party plugins that deal with noise in even more sophisticated ways.

I treat those profiles as a starting point, just to see what the engineers think is the correct way to go. Sometimes the engineers agree with me, sometimes not. Noise reduction has gotten so good, however, that I worry it about as among the last things I do. I learned a trick recently that made the noise slider work even better. Under Sharpening, click on the option or alt key while using the Mask slider. The screen goes white and black and reveals where the noise is happening, and can disappear, leaving the sharp edges intact. In addition there are third-party plugins that deal with noise in even more sophisticated ways.

Thanks for your observations, but they do not apply to my query, which is about the Adobe Profile Editor. I'm looking to use the Profile Editor to create the camera profiles that could be used by LR when developing an image. However, when the image is captured at high ISO, Adobe's Profile Editors' auto mode (chart) errors out. I can't think of a way to tweak the image. I can't make the image brighter as it burns out the highlights. Noise reduction does not apply, Profile Editor works on the original raw file (converted to dng by Adobe's DNG convertor).

In that case, you might try an extra step, which is to create a virtual copy of your original file, adjust so the whites are not blown out, and then combine using HDR to squeeze out all the information you can, then use the Profile Editor on that file. I've saved more than one image using this technique. You can also create HDR images using a plugin like Enfuse (the one I use most often) to create the same kind of file.

In that case, you might try an extra step, which is to create a virtual copy of your original file, adjust so the whites are not blown out, and then combine using HDR to squeeze out all the information you can, then use the Profile Editor on that file. I've saved more than one image using this technique. You can also create HDR images using a plugin like Enfuse (the one I use most often) to create the same kind of file.

Adobe Profile Editor is about camera calibration. It has nothing to do with HDR. HDR is a post processing technique which is the exact antithesis of what camera profiling and calibration is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back