Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I'm using Lr CC 2015.12 and just purchased FotoMagico 5.4.3 Pro.

In FM, I can see the Lr library, no problem. I can also see all my "standard" Lr collections, and the images they contain. However, I cannot see any "smart" Lr collections, or the images they contain! I see the collection sets that contain the smart collections - but not the smart collections themselves, or their images.

I even created 1:1 previews in Lr for the images I want to pull into FM - it didn't help.

I realize that I can export the desired images from Lr, then drag them into FM - but then what's the point of FM's "Lightroom" library section in the Image Browser?

I really hope there is something I can do to allow FM to pull images from Lr Smart Collections!

It's probably a question for FM, Jim. LR doesn't expose its contents to third party apps, whatever this Image Browser may be. If FM integrate with LR via LR's SDK, they should be able to access images in SCs. If they use some other means, that's their software and not LR.

But you could just create collections to shadow the smart collections.

John

Thanks, John. I posted a similar inquiry in the FM forum, but they don't seem to be nearly as active as here.

I don't know if FM uses the Lr SDK, but I understand your point. I'll try to find out.

Yes, I've created a standard collection, as you suggested. I'm hoping that manual step won't be needed in the long run.

Thanks,

Jim

I'm using Lr CC 2015.12 and just purchased FotoMagico 5.4.3 Pro.

In FM, I can see the Lr library, no problem. I can also see all my "standard" Lr collections, and the images they contain. However, I cannot see any "smart" Lr collections, or the images they contain! I see the collection sets that contain the smart collections - but not the smart collections themselves, or their images.

I even created 1:1 previews in Lr for the images I want to pull into FM - it didn't help.

I realize that I can export the desired images from Lr, then drag them into FM - but then what's the point of FM's "Lightroom" library section in the Image Browser?

I really hope there is something I can do to allow FM to pull images from Lr Smart Collections!

The explanation is probably that smart collections do not really contain images. They are stored queries, so the query has to be carried out before there is some content. FM can look inside the catalog, but it can't perform the query and so it can't display he contents of smart collections.

FM uses a framework called iMedia.framework, iMedia Browser from Karelia makes browsing media files easy. It cannot access smart collections (HoudahGeo uses it as well, and others). It can, however, access static collections, so turn your smart collection into a static one before using FM if you want to access those images in Lr via that framework.

That rings a bell, Rob. I had noticed it in HoudahGeo years ago and recall it was tapping into the Mac Media Browser, after which my interest ended! So I guess Karelia is your next step, Jim.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back