Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom version: 6.0 [1014445]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
On a desktop mac at home I started editing images in LR6 that I have stored on an internal drive. I am traveling and want to continue working with images in that folder so I exported that folder "export as catalog" to a external drive. I have LR6 installed on my MacBook and want to continue working on the images there. Ultimately I want to merge all the newly edited images back to the original folder on my desktop mac.
I am looking for the simplest solution. Some questions I have:

1 Should I create a new catalog on the MacBook or does it matter?
2. Does it matter that many of the images in the exported folder have already been edited?
3. Once I have edited all the images on the MacBook and I reconnect the external drive to my desktop mac do I click "Import photos and Video" or "Import from another Catalog" and does this depend on what I did in question one?
4. When I transfer all the images back to the desktop is it a merge as long as I choose the original folder as the destination i.e. will the old folder be overwritten with the newly imported edits?
5. Any pitfalls to be aware of?

Use the exported catalog on the MBP (double click it to let Lightroom know you want to use this one, not create a new one). When you get home, use ‘Import from Another Catalog’ to import the edits in this catalog again into the main catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back