Using LR5 'perpetual' and considering the CC Photo plan -- anything I should know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnstyle

Hi all,

I'm using LR5 'perpetual' now, but I'm considering switching to the CC Photo plan.

Just wondering if there's anything I should know in advance so as not to screw something up.

I'll at least make a copy of my catalog before I run LR6 CC.

But anything in addition to that?

On a related note, can a LR6 CC catalog be opened in LR5 perpetual?

Thanks kindly!

Nothing especially. Upgrading from LR5 to LRCC/6 is just like upgrading from LR4 to LR5. Your existing catalog will only read by LRCC, and a new version will be produced in the same folder, same filename but with a "-2" added to the end. Your LR5 previews folder will be "purloined" by LRCC and renamed to match the new catalog name.

And that's about it.

But no, an LR6/CC catalog cannot be opened in LR5.

While making a good backup of your catalog is always a good idea, LRCC will create a new catalog in the LRCC/6 structure Leaving your LR5 catalog as is.

When you get the Photography Bundle, Install the CC App Manager and from the App tab on the App Manager, choose to Install PSCC2014, BridgeCC & Lightroom CC (2015). CC App Manager will do all of your future installs for you.

When you open LRCC for the first time, It will open your master catalog, find it to be in the LR5 structure and offer to convert it to a new catalog in the New LR6 structure. When it does this, LRCC will rename your LR5 previews to the LR6 catalog name and assume ownership OF THE Previews. You can then pick up in the LR6 catalog where you left off in LR5.

Because the Catalog structures are different, LR5 can not use a LR6 catalog and LR6 can only read a LR5 catalog to convert it to LR6 structure. You can still use LR5 with your old LR5 catalog and LR5 will rebuild Previews if it needs them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back