• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Using LR Classic with photos in cloud?

fbx33

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic version: 8.3.1
Operating System
macOS 10.14 Mojave, iOS
I have 28,000 photos on my HD in LR Classic and duplicates in Apple Photos on my MBPro 500GB.

What I'd like is to have my LR photos in the cloud, available in LR Classic and LR iOS for my iPad (which appears to have the turquoise LR CC icon).

And my iPad shows 12K photos that I have previously uploaded to CC (when I tried it a year or more ago) and all photos taken with the iPhone these days.

Is there any way to get all 28K photos in the cloud and have access with Classic and iPad?

When I install CC on my Mac (in addition to LR Classic) LR CC begins to download all it's photos (the 12K I think) separately onto the Mac HD eventually adding another 100GB and reducing my storage available by the same amt.

Appreciate any help with this. I was going to try the "MIGRATE" option to MOVE all photos to cloud (think I have 1 TB there), but then I don't guess I'd have use of Classic for printing and for extended editing (the last prob not a big loss since I don't edit that much and recent use of iOS CC seems pretty good for me).

fbx33

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
You don't have to migrate. Lightroom Classic does not automatically sync all photos to the cloud, only those photos that are in a synced collection. So enable sync of your catalog, add all your photos to (a) synced collection(s) and you're done. The photos will be synced as smart previews, but that is good enough for viewing and editing on an iPad.