• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Using LR and Nik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shar

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have the Nik package - color efex, define, sharpener, silver efex and Viveza 2. I am wondering if I should edit in LR before I edit in the Nik products. For instance would I use clarity in LR or sharpen and then put the image through Nik sharpener? Or using colour efex - if I am going to use that would I not bother to adjust and edit in LR first? Any comments appreciated. Thanks.
PS - how do I reduce the font on my signature? Thanks again.

I'm not sure whether this is the best way to do this, but I've been doing things in the following order:
1st: do noise reduction in Dfine IF I know there is noise (high iso shot, etc)
2nd: do Raw Presharpener in Sharpener Pro
3rd: LR adjustments
4th: anything LR can't do satisfactorily or selectively enough, I do in the relevant Nik program (color effex, viveza, etc.)

Having said that, because I shoot RAW, I sometimes don't have enough of an idea about whether the photo is worth working on at all unless I do a few things in FIRST in LR (namely crop, slight contrast and saturation adjustments, sometimes clarity and slight exposure adjustments as well)

I'll be interested in hearing what others think about the best workflow....the two programs do duplicate each other in some respects, so it might take a while to figure out which one does which things best....clearly NR and Sharpening are superior in Nik, and I do prefer Viveza to using the adjustment brush in particular in LR, but that could just be me.

My workflow is always to start in LR and if the picture is worth working on further is gets a star rating, then I will do the exposure, white balance, clarity, cropping etc. Only after these adjustment will I go to the Nik software. But as ML has suggested if there is a high noise problem then you will need to go to Dfine first. I use Sharpener rather than LR as I normally always want selective sharpening rather the whole area, as I find the brush usage in LR not very effective.

Thank you Peter. I like your quote. Unfortunately I don't know how to do selective sharpening. Is there a video on this? Thanks.Shari

As I rule I do everything I can in my RAW editor first (except cropping) and the use external tools on an exported TIFF. I usually leave cropping until last so I have more flexibility.

I use LR to sharpen the fuzzy image you get from the low pass filter on the camera sensor.
I then sharpen selectively when required for an artistic effect.
I then sharpen for output as required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back