Using Lens Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munene

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Hi, this question may show either my ignorance and/or laziness, but I never paid attention to the lens profiles. But looking at the new LR updates and all the new lenses it added, i am wondering if maybe I have been missing something really useful!? I tried it out on LR5 (at work), which doesn't seem to have any Fuji lenses except two camera models (no lenses!?). At home I have 6 in the cloud (maybe I should wait and try that?). Be that as it may, I played on two different images. One image had a central figure with most of the background blurred trees in the background. The second had a row of people filling the frame, taken from an angle. When adjusted, nothing happened on the first image. On the second, I can see a slight shift in the "distortion" (an aesthetic concept, I maintain, may have no need for "correction", unless, I am missing something). I saw no change in the chromatic aberration on either (both taken in nice bright sunlight). When "you all" shoot in a wide angle, do you really want the perspective of a 50mm lens? is that what it tries to do? (maybe, maybe not?).

So, just curious as to how and why this is used. (I can see how maybe a wedding photographer may benefit.)

Thanks for humoring me.

Cheers,
Munene

If you take a photo of a regular grid, say a brick wall, you know that all of the mortar joints are horizontal and vertical. Because of characteristics of the lens elements, the image captured by the sensor after having been projected through the lens will be curved and this can be seen by the vertical and horizontal joint lines in the captured image. A lens correction profile will correct (or almost correct) this built-in lens distortion. In a generic scene of people or non linear "things", this distortion caused by the lens will not be apparent, but it will still be present

As for chromatic aberration: that used to be part of the lens profile, but it no longer is the case. You can now set this option separately in the Lens Corrections tab.

I have created a simple preset that adds lens correction and a couple of tweaks that I want to apply as a starting point for all my images.

I have Lightroom apply this preset during Import so I don't have to take the time later.

If I want I can always remove anything the preset did while in the Develop module.

Even easier: Apply the lens profile, the hold the Alt-key and press the 'Reset' button. It changes to 'Set Default', so you can update your default to include lens profile and anything else you want.
Thanks for the reminder. If you use more than one camera make sure to check the box to make defaults specific to it in the Preferences-Preset tab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back