• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Using iCloud as a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshgold

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom CC version: 1.4 [ 20180608-0705-e1ba7c8 ] (Jun 9 2018)
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi,

When downloading large raw files to my inadequate harddrive on my apple macbook Air it keeps saying that my hard drive is full, could I when downloading my photos onto LR CC utilise my icloud storage space? If so can anyone let me know how to do this please?

Cheers
Graham

No, I don't think you can. It would also not be logical. Lightroom CC also uses the cloud as storage space, the local disk space it needs is just a cache to speed up the import. Using another cloud service rather than the local disk would be very illogical (and counterproductive) in this case.

Yes, Dropbox won't work either, though an external hard drive certainly would.

You do know that you don't need to store a copy of the originals locally, i.e. you can use the various options on the Local Storage tab of the LRCC Preferences in combination to better utilise the space that you do have available on the system drive? For example, you could set the space percentage value to 0%, check the Smart Previews box, uncheck the "Store Originals Locally" box.....then LRCC would use the Smart Previews and only download originals as required for things like exports and zooming to 1:1. And if space is tight it would/should delete that local original when you've moved on to another image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back