• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Using Google Drive to back-up photo files

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick-young

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 12.1 [ 202212072312-d7ab524b ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
Hi Team,

I am currently reviewing using Google Drive (I have a 5tb sub) to back up may various folders of photos. These folders are all synced to Lightroom Classic. I'm managing to confuse myself a bit with this type of workflow e.g. How can i tell if all the folders are synced to GD etc?

I guess what I'm trying to achieve is have a reliabel safety net as all my photo files are stored on an external drive that is constantly connected to my Mac Studio (for Lightroom) and I recently had an external drive die on me which has created alot of work trying to get images back off GD and other sources.

I probably haven't explained myself very well but would be keen to hear from anyone else who uses this backup method.

Cheers

Nick

.. to back up may various folders of photos. These folders are all synced to Lightroom Classic.
It sounds like you are trying to keep the files in 'sync' as opposed to backing up your MAC to Google Drive. Two difference concepts.
You may want to review this https://www.lightroomqueen.com/backup-lightroom-files/
What I have is:
  • Nightly job which copies new/changed/deleted file s from my PC to an external drive.
  • Weekly a job that copies new/changed (no deleted) files from my PC to Amazon's Cloud

Nightly job to BU all my photos and catalog folder to local HD
Constant Sync of photos and catalog folder to two cloud services

However, I differ from Paul and yourself as to choice of cloud service. Google Drive is more of a "sharing" platform where sharing can mean with other people or with your own other devices. While such platforms are quite useful for their intended purpose, my preference is to entrust my backups to services that are designed for that purpose. I use both "Crash Plan for Small Business" and "BackBlaze" for this purpose (yes I run them both).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back