• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Using External Editor (PS), Keep Same Collections as Original

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSeek

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm wondering if there's an easier way to do this or if my workflow is wrong.

I have my RAW files in LR with ratings, keywords and collections. When I use an external editor (e.g., PS) on a photo, a "derived" TIFF file comes back to LR, and it has the same ratings and keywords as the original. However, it doesn't belong to all the same collections as the original, and I want it to. If I edit from the library folder, it doesn't inherit any collections. If I edit from a collection, the derived photo belongs to that collection but no others. What I have to do is manually look up what collections the original photo belonged to, and add the derived photo to each of those collections. Tedious! Seems like there should be a better way.

Is there a workflow or option in LR to automatically get the derived photo to be a member of all the same collections as the original?

Thanks for any advice.

I'm wondering if there's an easier way to do this or if my workflow is wrong.

I have my RAW files in LR with ratings, keywords and collections. When I use an external editor (e.g., PS) on a photo, a "derived" TIFF file comes back to LR, and it has the same ratings and keywords as the original. However, it doesn't belong to all the same collections as the original, and I want it to. If I edit from the library folder, it doesn't inherit any collections. If I edit from a collection, the derived photo belongs to that collection but no others. What I have to do is manually look up what collections the original photo belonged to, and add the derived photo to each of those collections. Tedious! Seems like there should be a better way.

Is there a workflow or option in LR to automatically get the derived photo to be a member of all the same collections as the original?

Thanks for any advice.

If you want to assign derivatives returning from PS to collections that contain the original, the you need to use Smart Collections not static collections A Smart collection is self populating based upon the criteria for that smart collection. A static collection is alway manually populated except for a fairly recent change that Adobe made to add a derivative to the same collection from which it originates.

If your Metadata has the following: 4 stars, then the derivative will also inherit 4 stars. The same is true for keywords, labels etc. If you create a smart Collection that populate with images containing a certain keyword or 4 stars or any combination of unique metadata, then the derivative file created for PS will also have that criteria and be assigned to the same smart collection. Not necessarily the one that the derivative originated from

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want to assign derivatives returning from PS to collections that contain the original, the you need to use Smart Collections not static collections A Smart collection is self populating based upon the criteria for that smart collection. A static collection is alway manually populated except for a fairly recent change that Adobe made to add a derivative to the same collection from which it originates.

If your Metadata has the following: 4 stars, then the derivative will also inherit 4 stars. The same is true for keywords, labels etc. If you create a smart Collection that populate with images containing a certain keyword or 4 stars or any combination of unique metadata, then the derivative file created for PS will also have that criteria and be assigned to the same smart collection. Not necessarily the one that the derivative originated from

Thanks Clee for pointing out that this could work with Smart Collections.

I'm specifically working with traditional Collections here--they are hand-curated rather than defined by a combination of metadata. So, looking for some trick or workflow to make it easier to add the external editor derived photo to the same set of traditional Collections as the original.

Thanks Clee for pointing out that this could work with Smart Collections.

I'm specifically working with traditional Collections here--they are hand-curated rather than defined by a combination of metadata. So, looking for some trick or workflow to make it easier to add the external editor derived photo to the same set of traditional Collections as the original.

The trick is to use smart collection if you want “smart” results.

Assign a unique keyword to all of the images in the dumb collection and use a smart collection that uses that keyword as criteria. The resulting smart collection will contain all of the images in the dumb collection AND and derivative images returned form an external editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back