• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Using 'Export as Catalog...' to archive photos to a file server -- is this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnstyle

Hi all,

My catalog file is getting a bit unwieldy, and I'd like to archive some photos to a file server on my LAN.

I've never used 'Export as Catalog...' so I'm hoping to explain how I believe I should use it, and somebody here might tell me if I have the right idea.

1) Select the files I want to export, choose 'Export as Catalog...', chose 'Export Selected' and 'Export Negatives', and export.

2) Move the exported catalog and files to the file server on my LAN

3) Once I'm sure everything is working, delete the files from the main catalog.

And having done so, I should be able to open the catalog from the file server on my LAN, and export a JPG or whatever if I ever need to.

And if I later want to add more files to that exported/archived catalog:

1) Select the files I want to export, choose 'Export as Catalog...', chose 'Export Selected' and 'Export Negatives', and export.

2) Open the exported/archived catalog on the file server on my LAN

3) Select 'Import from Another Catalog...' and select the catalog I exported in step #1 above.

4) Once I'm sure everything is working, delete the files from the main catalog, and also delete the catalog I exported.

Is that all correct?

Thanks kindly, I'm a bit concerned I'll screw up something I care about, but I do need to start archiving. Much appreciate your consideration!

-Scott

I was advised elsewhere that my workflow above is NOT a good idea.

Instead, I was advised to:

1) copy the files I want to archive from my local drive to my network share

2) repoint LR to reference those files on the network share, rather than locally

3) when all that seems ok, delete the local copies

And, therefore, I also only ever have one catalog file.

Is this the intended/preferred way to archive some local files to network storage?

Thanks! -Scott

It's probably the way I would do it if ever I felt the need, but it really depends on the motive for "archiving" a set of images. You say your catalog is becoming a "bit unwieldy", but what does that really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back