• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Using DNGs to backup edited photos to external storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie B.

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
LR Mobile 6.4.1
Operating System
  1. iOS
SUMMARY: To create a non-cloud backup of my edited photos, is it feasible to export them as DNGs to external storage?
DETAILS: I have an iPad-only workflow. (No PC or Mac.). I have the Lightroom Mobile Premium Subscription from the App Store ($4.99/month), which gives me premium features and 100GB of cloud storage. Most of my work is in JPG, but I occasionally shoot in Nikon NEF RAW.
As an IT professional, I am not comfortable with the fact that only one copy of my edited photos with their edits exists (in the Adobe Cloud.) In IT, I am used to having multiple backups of critical files. (I have multiple copies of my non-edited original photos in external storage.)
So, I would like to make backup copies of my edited photos with their edits and export them to external storage.. The only way I can find to do this in an iPad-only workflow is to export the edited photos as to external storage as DNG files.
>>What are your thoughts, comments, or suggestions? Is there a better way to do this?
Thanks!
Charlie

Is there a better way to do this?
If you don't have access to a PC or Mac, I think that's the ONLY way to do this. It's certainly what I would be doing if I'm ever out in an area with no internet connection and with only a phone and iPad with me. I'd be copying all new captures to an external drive as well as importing them into LrMobile on the iPad, then I'd be exporting any that I subsequently edit as DNG back to a different external drive, thus protecting the editing work in the event of loss or damage to the iPad before the images have time to sync to the cloud.

In your case, assuming you still have internet available, there are other ways to copy the original images via the "Share" options, but only by exporting as DNG first would you be able to protect the editing work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back