• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import Using Catalog on external drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillieMercer

Billie
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have a large external drive with my photos and catalog (also backup in second location on my PC) I am currently living in a different place and I have bought a MacBook Pro. When I try to open LR with the catalog on the external drive, I get this message.
Lightroom cannot open the catalog named LR5-2-2-2 located on volume "MASTER" because Lightroom cannot save changes to this location.

Is there a way to use this catalog on the MacBook Pro laptop and also on the PC?

Your external drive may have been formatted in the PC such that it is not writable by MAC systems.
Windows drives are commonly NTFS or FAT32.
ExFAT is the format required to be readable in both systems.
Do NOT re-format this drive until you have a full backup as a format will wipe all data.
Much info out on the web about Mac formats- eg.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/mac-file-system-external-drive/

Your external drive may have been formatted in the PC such that it is not writable by MAC systems.
Windows drives are commonly NTFS or FAT32.
ExFAT is the format required to be readable in both systems.
Do NOT re-format this drive until you have a full backup as a format will wipe all data.
Much info out on the web about Mac formats- eg.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/mac-file-system-external-drive/

Grrrr..... I was afraid that was the problem. Okay, If I back up to another HD, should that HD be formatted as ExFat? Should I copy both the Library image files and the catalog directly to the ExFAT new external HD format?

Although I don’t like the answer, I really appreciate you answering my question.

If I back up to another HD, should that HD be formatted as ExFat?
Should I copy both the Library image files and the catalog directly to the ExFAT new external HD format?
I am a Windows guy so if Mac users have better answers please chime in.
To the first question- If the drive is to be Read/write in both Mac and PC, then- Yes, ExFat.
To the second- Yes, copy everything! Basically you are making a 'mirror' copy on a Mac 'workable' drive.

Grrrr..... I was afraid that was the problem. Okay, If I back up to another HD, should that HD be formatted as ExFat? Should I copy both the Library image files and the catalog directly to the ExFAT new external HD format?

Although I don’t like the answer, I really appreciate you answering my question.
It depends on which machine does the formatting. If you are doing this on the windows machine the it does not matter which filesystem is used for the target (backup) volume. What is important is that your volume that will be used by both Windows and MacOS is formatted exFAT or FAT32 (On the Mac, FAT32 is called (MS-DOS FAT) and all data on it will be erased prior to formatting as exFAT or FAT32. Macs can only read/write to APFS, HFS, MS-DOS FAT, and exFAT filesystems. If you had formatted this first volume with one of the Mac/Windows compatible filesystems, you would not have seen this issue. HPFS is a UAC secure filesystem used only by Microsoft. exFAT or FAT32 filesystems do not manage security and are universally R/W by Windows, Mac, LINUX, and the operating system used by your camera or your mobile device. This is why camera cards and thumb drives (formatted FAT32) can be used by a variety of operating systems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back