Use of variables in directory naming for import

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjamedia

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
There seems to be reasonable support for file re-naming during import or auto-import, but no support for doing the same with directory name/path. What I would like is the ability to create a directory for imported files, with options to suggest a path based on one or more available varialbles, such as metadata I.e. image date, or actual year/month/day I.e. suggesting something simlar to the filenames but with directories. Has anyone seen the Chris Breeze application Downloader Pro? www.breezesys.com This gives a great way of creating structured directory layout using variables. It even has a clever job code facility which can be manually entered so it is integrated into the path created during the copy. Now why can't Adobe think of such useful features?

Cheers, Paul

Did this ever get included as a feature?

I just submitted this feature request to Adobe:
*******Enhancement / FMR*********
Brief title for your desired feature:
Ability for more control involving use of Image metadata in folder naming during image import.
How would you like the feature to work?
I do not use LR to download images from CF card as it is simply not flexible enough. I use a 3rd party utility called Breeze Downloader Pro - which is used by many professional photographers worldwide. This provides the ability to use variables for metadata substitution in the folder naming configuration and also the ability to enter a job code which too is variablised for use in the directory naming path. For example being able to specify a directory path of D:\Images\%Year\%year-%month-%day %jobcode and then being prompted for a jobcode within the import dialog would allow the photographer to enter something like "ModelName\set1" as the job code, creating the final path based on the variable substitution E.g. D:\Images\2''9\2''9-'4-15 Jaime\set1. The date variables in this example would be taken from the image metadata of the images being imported.

Why is this feature important to you? Because it would save me having to use a 3rd party utility in my workflow, saving time, reducing an extra process and would introduce a feature in LR which is long overdue.

Paul A

Have not seen this posting updated or the feature added yet, but to build on the work here I have submitted the following feature request:

Brief title for your desired feature:
Ability to use variables when entering metadata data in the presets during import.
How would you like the feature to work?
An example would be the use of a filename variable to enter the filename into the IPTC Title field. The filename variable value would be derived from the existing filename of the image being imported.
Why is this feature important to you?
Today, using your product exclusively, I must manually set this value (on an individual image basis). In addition, all the other similar image 'cataloging', 'injesting' or 'downloading' products have this feature. So I have a choice, use another product in addition to or in place of yours, or do the
rename manually.
The IPTC standard regarding Title states:
"Many use the Title field to store the filename of the image, though the field may be used in many ways."
'The DAM Book', Second Edition, The Digital Asset Management bible by Peter Krogh states:
"...I like to save the file name of the image into the IPTC Title field so that I have a record of the original file name that stays with the image even if the actual file name changes."

rthorn

[quote author=rthorn link=topic=2325.msg55'91#msg55'91 date=125535794']
"...I like to save the file name of the image into the IPTC Title field so that I have a record of the original file name that stays with the image even if the actual file name changes."
[/quote]
rthorn, welcome to Lightroom Forums.

Lightroom always keep the "Original Filename" in its database. Used in conjunction with John Beardsworth plugin #4 Search and replace, I think you may be in business to do it all in Lightroom.

[quote author=Denis Pagé link=topic=2325.msg55184#msg55184 date=1255538444]
Lightroom always keep the "Original Filename" in its database.[/quote]

There has been a bug in LR2 (since the initial LR2 release, I think) where if you rename on import, the original filename gets lost. If you rename after import, it is preserved.

Ah! Forgot that one! But as I myself prefer to trash the camera naming and keep my (YYYYMMDD_#### <- camera generated last digits) renaming at import considering it my original... and as I never further rename in the whole workflow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back