• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Use of term 'Lightroom" - copyright issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Noble

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Couldn't find any reference to this elsewhere on the site, so I'll post my query here.

I have stumbled through the legalese in the Lightroom copyright section in which all their various terms and properties are protected.

I'm wondering if I can use the term "Lightroom" deliberately referring to the product in a website folder with, if necessary, the copyright symbol appended?

I'm thinking of putting a gallery up which would be called something like "XXX Meets Lightroom" and then use it to post various examples of Lightroom effects and adjustments. It's meant to give full credit to the Adobe product, not to mis-use anything.

Do the experts here think this is acceptable use, and in fact is providing appropriate credit to the application's legal requirements?

Thanks - any advice greatly appreciated.

I don't see why not. Look, for instance, at the title of this forum.

"Here are examples of how to use a program which cannot be named." That just wouldn't fly. :)

Yeah, their legalese is a bit of a minefield. Even if there was a slight misdemeanor, they're unlikely to chase anyone unless that person was trying to rip Adobe off.

It would be funny if you couldn't google the word Lightroom in order to find related plug-ins, presets, blog posts, tutorials... it's almost like they've done with their own name changes!!!

Yeah, their legalese is a bit of a minefield. Even if there was a slight misdemeanor, they're unlikely to chase anyone unless that person was trying to rip Adobe off.

It would be funny if you couldn't google the word Lightroom in order to find related plug-ins, presets, blog posts, tutorials... it's almost like they've done with their own name changes!!!
I suspect that the lawyers in Adobe are experiencing a lot of angina over all these name changes. :eek:

Nah, that's what they'd want us to believe. haha
Actually, this name change less than two years after these products and names were first announced, seems to me to be more of the marketing malfeasance that we saw with the confused quality of the original announcements. Methinks the people making these decissions do not have a long-term strategy. Maintaining a brand is a long-term strategy and what we are seeing here is confusion which is very destructive to the brand identity.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back