• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!
Status
Not open for further replies.

N+13

Chuck N+13
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 8.4.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I am a Sony a7iii user shooting raw. I read Clee01l's January 8, 2015 discussion on DNG vs NEF. Does the same logic apply to Sony's AWR vs DNG, Cletus? To all, what logic do you suggest I use in deciding between Copy and Copy as DNG when AWR is coming out of the camera?
Thanks for the help.
N+13

I am a Sony a7iii user shooting raw. I read Clee01l's January 8, 2015 discussion on DNG vs NEF. Does the same logic apply to Sony's AWR vs DNG, Cletus? To all, what logic do you suggest I use in deciding between Copy and Copy as DNG when AWR is coming out of the camera?
Thanks for the help.
N+13

Since you did not provide a link to my 2015 discussion, I’ll have to “wing it” Although I don’t think my position on DNG has changed a lot over time.
When I had a Pentax, it was capable of writing DNG in the camera or Pentax proprietary RAW format. I chose DNG in the camera and did not need to convert. When I switched to Nikon, I did not consider DNG as important.
Camera Manufacturers are able to put proprietary data in to proprietary RAW formats that MAY be useful when future technology is available to handle it (think for example being able to mathematically correct out of focus data recorded by the camera).

While converting to DNG does preserve this mfg collected data, it does not allow mfg future technology to use that data. The proprietary RAW format preserves any mfg proprietary data for future technology. This holds true for Nikon Sony or any other mfg that has proprietary RAW formats and special mfg data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Understood, Cletus. And - thank you.

Thanks for the article posting Paul. I've recently become aware of the lack of support for MAKER NOTES in Adobe. I was not aware of it for DNG. Wonder if it's related.

Thanks for the article posting Paul. I've recently become aware of the lack of support for MAKER NOTES in Adobe. I was not aware of it for DNG. Wonder if it's related.

Maker’s notes is defined in EXIF as one large user structured field. Each “maker” (Manufacturer) will structure the field differently and the Makers Notes field is variable in length. Adobe ignores this field since it can container different elements for different manufacturers. But it does preserve it as a pass through. The DNG format does also preserve it as a pass through. There is no data contained inside that can be used to enhance the Adobe processing and therefore it is universally ignored for all manufacturers when converting RAW data to RGB.

Adobe ignores this field since it can container different elements for different manufacturers. But it does preserve it as a pass through

Actually, I've found the MAKER NOTES to disappear on exporting from LR.

Dan, yeh - that's the question, isn't it? What benefit do I get?
Paul, the blog was perfect for my needs. Thanks for sending. And, thanks to all for your comments.
Chuck

Actually, I've found the MAKER NOTES to disappear on exporting from LR.

What I was referencing is that by converting to DNG, Adobe preserves the Makers notes section of EXIF. OF the RAW DNG. And this metadata would be maintained in the Lightroom Catalog. Exporting is different. I don’t believe there is a Makers note section in the JPEG header structure. There is no reason to expect Makers notes to show up in the Exported JPEG. You can check the in camera JPEG and you won’t find the Makers Notes there either.

There is no reason to expect Makers notes to show up in the Exported JPEG
Thanks for the insight. I believe my export was to TIF and reviewed using EXIFTOOL. No maker notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back