• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Upgrading to LR Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

John W

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System:Windows 10

Lightroom Version: Classic CC
(Please go to Help menu > System Info to double check the exact version number)

Question or Description of Problem:I have no questions or problems so don't expect a response. I thought that anyone wondering whether to take the plunge and upgrade to LR Classic would like to know that I have (somewhat nervously) just done so. I have about 40,000 photos in my catalog. The whole process of upgrading took about 20 minutes and, so far, there have not been any problems. I have imported 10 raw files (using embedded jpegs for the preview) , added keywords and captions, processed them (some with the new range mask) and exported them to jpeg. That's the extent of my testing.

Well, I would think about the improvements (see Victoria's post) and whether they are relevant to your needs. If not, I'd just stay with with the previous version for a while — better the devil you know. That said, I have upgraded one of my three databases and have had zero problems.

The issue, of course, is that once you upgrade you can't go back without losing (some or all) changes.

Well, I would think about the improvements (see Victoria's post) and whether they are relevant to your needs. If not, I'd just stay with with the previous version for a while — better the devil you know. That said, I have upgraded one of my three databases and have had zero problems.

The issue, of course, is that once you upgrade you can't go back without losing (some or all) changes.

When you upgrade, Lightroom makes a copy of your catalog and upgrades that. The old catalog remains, so you can simply go back to that.

When you upgrade, Lightroom makes a copy of your catalog and upgrades that. The old catalog remains, so you can simply go back to that.
Yes, exactly, and if you do go back, then any changes in the new catalog (except for metadata, if you are set up to write metadata) are gone if you revert to your old catalog.
I saw reference to another discussion where people were complaining that Adobe does not make the "keep my old version of Lightroom (application) when installing the new one" check box prominent enough. I strongly suggest that people keep the old one around for a while, just in case.

Yes, exactly, and if you do go back, then any changes in the new catalog (except for metadata, if you are set up to write metadata) are gone if you revert to your old catalog.

Of course, that only makes sense. However, say you've imported some new photos in the upgraded catalog. These will obviously not yet be in the old catalog when you decide to go back. What you can do is select these photos in Lr Classic in the new catalog, and choose 'Metadata - Save Metadata to Files'. Then, when you go back to Lr6 and the old catalog, you can import these photos. All metadata and all edits will come across, except for those edits that are new in Lr Classic (i.e. Range Mask).

I saw reference to another discussion where people were complaining that Adobe does not make the "keep my old version of Lightroom (application) when installing the new one" check box prominent enough. I strongly suggest that people keep the old one around for a while, just in case.

They should indeed make it clearer, but even if you did remove the old version, you can simply install it again. Either use the CC App and click on the right side of the 'Open' button. That will give you a menu to install older versions. Or go to the direct download page for all installers: Download Photoshop Lightroom

Johan, I feel that this is a needless discussion, that we are stating the obvious from two different points of view. If you change the "select/reject" button that won't be saved. If you don't have "Include Develop settings in metadata in JPEG, TIFF, PNG and PSD files" set, those changes won't transfer. If you have moved files between folders, you'll have to find them again. If you have renamed files, you'll have to spend some time figuring out what you did and where they are. Etc, etc.

All I was trying to say was "be careful, it might be hard to undo the upgrade." In my case, I have now added and moved 100's of files in the last few days since I upgraded, and I since I am not using any of the new features, I don't think it was a wise choice given the potential for problems. However, I have had zero problems (as I stated to start with).

Last edited:
I'm not 'discussing' this with you. We don't disagree on anything. I just added some information for people who already deleted their old installation by mistake. And for people who want to go back after trying Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back