• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Upgrading PC Platform - Sanity Check Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmuk

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a HP desktop with a single 2TB SATA drive running latest version of Windows 10 and using latest versions of subscription based LR and PS programs. Everything is double backed up weekly alternatively onto 2 (A) or (B) external 2 TB USB Drives.

Due to shrinking size of the existing 2TB SATA drive (about 350GB free) as more data is added, I am going to install a 500GB SATA SSD for Windows 10 and all my programs + LR & PS and then re-use the original 2TB SATA drive for data only once it has been reformatted.

My fundamental steps (clearly there is more detail) are...

1 - Make new verified back-ups of all data, documents, pictures etc.
2 - Install SSD drive and then install Windows 10 onto it.
3 - Re-connect original 2TB SATA as 2nd drive, reformat and then restore all data from backups telling Windows where data now is located
4 - Re-install LR and PS and 'connect' them to the new location of the relevant data.
5 - Sit back and think I have done a good job!

Or did I? Any big holes in this procedure? Traps? Flaws?
Any comments and of course suggestions most welcome.

Many thanks
Mike

After you install Windows 10 and all your apps from scratch on the new SSD, you should copy the LrC catalog folder into the SSD as well. The photos this catalog will refer to can be stored on the 2TB internal HD.

Using the catalog from the fastest disk will get you better performance. You should also increase, in LrC preferences, the camera raw cache size from the default 5GB to at least 20GB (or more, up to the maximum 200GB) This cache folder should also reside in the SSD.

A lot depends on the size of your catalog and associated previews folders. On my old MacBookPro I found that the internal 500GB SSD started to get squeezed for space when my catalog and previews folders were on it, and I ended up moving them to an external SSD drive. If you're going to the trouble of rebuilding your system drive, you might want to consider a larger SSD...I don't think there would be a significant price differential between 500GB and 1TB internal SSD drives.

I have a HP desktop with a single 2TB SATA drive running latest version of Windows 10 and using latest versions of subscription based LR and PS programs. Everything is double backed up weekly alternatively onto 2 (A) or (B) external 2 TB USB Drives.

Due to shrinking size of the existing 2TB SATA drive (about 350GB free) as more data is added, I am going to install a 500GB SATA SSD for Windows 10 and all my programs + LR & PS and then re-use the original 2TB SATA drive for data only once it has been reformatted.

My fundamental steps (clearly there is more detail) are...

1 - Make new verified back-ups of all data, documents, pictures etc.
2 - Install SSD drive and then install Windows 10 onto it.
3 - Re-connect original 2TB SATA as 2nd drive, reformat and then restore all data from backups telling Windows where data now is located
4 - Re-install LR and PS and 'connect' them to the new location of the relevant data.
5 - Sit back and think I have done a good job!

Or did I? Any big holes in this procedure? Traps? Flaws?
Any comments and of course suggestions most welcome.

Many thanks
Mike
Do you need or want to reinstall Windows + all your application programs? Do you have any spare drives to which you can copy all the data you want to remain on the 2 TB drive?

If you have such a drive, and if you don't need to reinstall Windows, then download this free program. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree. Use it to clone your 2 TB drive. Before anything else, COPY all data destined to the spare drive, so that your remaining used space on the 2 TB drive is about 250 GB or less. Then the cloning operation. Then remove the 2 TB drive and reboot.

Once you can reboot with the new drive, then copy all the data from the space drive back to the 2 TB drive.

If you don't have a spare drive, how do you do backups?

If your HP desktop can accommodate a NVMe "stick" SSD, then get one of those, for better performance.

Do you need or want to reinstall Windows + all your application programs? Do you have any spare drives to which you can copy all the data you want to remain on the 2 TB drive?

If you have such a drive, and if you don't need to reinstall Windows, then download this free program. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree. Use it to clone your 2 TB drive. Before anything else, COPY all data destined to the spare drive, so that your remaining used space on the 2 TB drive is about 250 GB or less. Then the cloning operation. Then remove the 2 TB drive and reboot.

Once you can reboot with the new drive, then copy all the data from the space drive back to the 2 TB drive.

If you don't have a spare drive, how do you do backups?

If your HP desktop can accommodate a NVMe "stick" SSD, then get one of those, for better performance.
IIRC, cloning from a spinning drove to an SSD is not always recommended due to things like how trimming is handled. I agree that building a new internal boot drive can be a major PITA, but it does clear away some of the registry crud. If you buy a Samsung SSD, see if their Magician software will clone from a spinning drive. If so, then it is worth considering.

--Ken

IIRC, cloning from a spinning drove to an SSD is not always recommended due to things like how trimming is handled.

@Replytoken

Trim on an SSD is typically handled by the drive's firmware and internal controller. Trim doesn't occur only when cloning from a "spinning rust" drive. It is done on an ongoing basis.
I agree that building a new internal boot drive can be a major PITA, but it does clear away some of the registry crud. If you buy a Samsung SSD, see if their Magician software will clone from a spinning drive. If so, then it is worth considering.

--Ken
I have successfully used the Magician software to clone from a smaller SSD to a new Samsung SSD.

I just bought (as in not delivered yet) a 1 TB Sandisk SSD, and the software for this drive includes a copy of Acronis software. If you don't get cloning software with the drive, there is always Minitool Partition Wizard free. https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html. Very popular in the Windows geek community.

@Replytoken

Trim on an SSD is typically handled by the drive's firmware and internal controller. Trim doesn't occur only when cloning from a "spinning rust" drive. It is done on an ongoing basis.

I have successfully used the Magician software to clone from a smaller SSD to a new Samsung SSD.

I just bought (as in not delivered yet) a 1 TB Sandisk SSD, and the software for this drive includes a copy of Acronis software. If you don't get cloning software with the drive, there is always Minitool Partition Wizard free. https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html. Very popular in the Windows geek community.
My concern about trim was that the spinner settings would be set on the SSD, among other things, and the OP might not know how to change them. I swapped out my spinner for an SSD, but that was a number of year ago, and I believe that I did a clean install. My Win 10 upgrade, however, was done in place.

--Ken

My concern about trim was that the spinner settings would be set on the SSD, among other things, and the OP might not know how to change them. I swapped out my spinner for an SSD, but that was a number of year ago, and I believe that I did a clean install. My Win 10 upgrade, however, was done in place.

--Ken
Windows 10 is "SSD aware," and treats such physical volumes diffferently than spinning drives. The OP doesn't need to do anything around drive parameters or other environmental settings.

After you install Windows 10 and all your apps from scratch on the new SSD, you should copy the LrC catalog folder into the SSD as well. The photos this catalog will refer to can be stored on the 2TB internal HD.

Using the catalog from the fastest disk will get you better performance. You should also increase, in LrC preferences, the camera raw cache size from the default 5GB to at least 20GB (or more, up to the maximum 200GB) This cache folder should also reside in the SSD.
Good points, thank you.

A lot depends on the size of your catalog and associated previews folders. On my old MacBookPro I found that the internal 500GB SSD started to get squeezed for space when my catalog and previews folders were on it, and I ended up moving them to an external SSD drive. If you're going to the trouble of rebuilding your system drive, you might want to consider a larger SSD...I don't think there would be a significant price differential between 500GB and 1TB internal SSD drives.
Good points, thank you.

A suggested refinement to Jim Wilde post #11.

I agree 100% with Jim, but if it is possible.... check if you can install a second Ssd.
The first contains the o/s and apps.
The second becomes your high performance data storage area.
This can store say a) Your catalog and related preview files and options to contain possibly b) Your MyDocs folder or equivalent c) Your Outlook messages file, if you have such a setup, d) Consider storing your current years images, depending on the usual amount of image files you take annually e) any other folders of data you use every day or most frequently.

The reason .... do everything in your power to separate your o/s apps and personal data. Keep the size of the files and folders on this (system) drive as small as possible.

It is now easy to regularly backup your system drive (I do an automated backup every week and a delta backups every morning at 5.30am approx. using Macrium Reflect). Further ... it becomes a far simpler exercise to upgrade your PC at some point in the future as you can use a backup of your system drive to recover into a new system disk or a new system.

Also, it is now easier to also backup your vip data that you are using most often and not to have to worry about separating o/s and apps from your personal data..

If it is not feasible to install a second ssd drive, then consider splitting the drive into 2 partitions. The first partition contains the o/s and apps and the second is used to store your most frequently used files and folders (incl catalog) as described above.

Many thanks for all the feedback. Will report back after I have made the move.

Mike

A suggested refinement to Jim Wilde post #11.

I agree 100% with Jim, but if it is possible.... check if you can install a second Ssd.
The first contains the o/s and apps.
The second becomes your high performance data storage area.
This can store say a) Your catalog and related preview files and options to contain possibly b) Your MyDocs folder or equivalent c) Your Outlook messages file, if you have such a setup, d) Consider storing your current years images, depending on the usual amount of image files you take annually e) any other folders of data you use every day or most frequently.

The reason .... do everything in your power to separate your o/s apps and personal data. Keep the size of the files and folders on this (system) drive as small as possible.

It is now easy to regularly backup your system drive (I do an automated backup every week and a delta backups every morning at 5.30am approx. using Macrium Reflect). Further ... it becomes a far simpler exercise to upgrade your PC at some point in the future as you can use a backup of your system drive to recover into a new system disk or a new system.

Also, it is now easier to also backup your vip data that you are using most often and not to have to worry about separating o/s and apps from your personal data..

If it is not feasible to install a second ssd drive, then consider splitting the drive into 2 partitions. The first partition contains the o/s and apps and the second is used to store your most frequently used files and folders (incl catalog) as described above.
For many years now, I have had separate C: and D: partitions or separate drives. Windows doesn't care which. The benefit is that when, not IF, I need to repair or reload Windows, all my data is safe, no matter what goes wrong with the Windows operation. Actually I also have an E: partition, for my photos, music, books, movies, etc.

For many years now, I have had separate C: and D: partitions or separate drives. Windows doesn't care which. The benefit is that when, not IF, I need to repair or reload Windows, all my data is safe, no matter what goes wrong with the Windows operation. Actually I also have an E: partition, for my photos, music, books, movies, etc.
HI Phil,

Many thanks for tips. Typically before I retired when I have been working with client data (nothing to do with Photography) I always had separate drives for their data and backups including a RAID setup, separating it all from the O/S drive and allowing me to use either of two desktop PC's that I had then. So very familiar with separation of O/S from Data.

I now have around six or seven left over 'empty' SATA drives from that era which I now use for offline backups of all of my current data which now includes images of course. Good suggestion about a second SSD drive.

Mike

HI Phil,

I now have around six or seven left over 'empty' SATA drives from that era which I now use for offline backups of all of my current data which now includes images of course. Good suggestion about a second SSD drive.

Mike
Mike, you don't indicate where you live. IF you live in the USA, you might consider recycling or repurposing for different usage old SATA drives with relatively low capacity, e.g. 2 TB or less. https://www.westerndigital.com/campaign/landing/easy-recycle

If you have too many SATA drives, so that you need to "split" your backup among several drives, you might end up with a crisis some day in the future when you need to recover some files. It's amazing how little it costs for a 4 TB or 6 TB drive, 5400 RPM. https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100167523 600457700 600457692 4814 600003489 4026 4027 4017 4018&Order=1&page=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back