Upgrading LR4.4 to LR5.7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanGains58

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Hello everyone. Just a quick question re the subject line. I've upgraded my camera from a Canon 7D to a Canon 7D MkII, so I need to upgrade LR to 5.7, or wait for LR6.

If I choose to upgrade to LR5 first (not knowing how far away LR6 is !), am I correct in thinking that once I have upgraded to LR5, that there are no issues in updating to LR5.7 ? MTIA.

Hello everyone. Just a quick question re the subject line. I've upgraded my camera from a Canon 7D to a Canon 7D MkII, so I need to upgrade LR to 5.7, or wait for LR6.

If I choose to upgrade to LR5 first (not knowing how far away LR6 is !), am I correct in thinking that once I have upgraded to LR5, that there are no issues in updating to LR5.7 ? MTIA.

You don't need to upgrade to LR5 and then update to 5.7, you can just go ahead and download the latest version and install that. You'll need to purchase a licence key to use it beyond the 30 day trial (or sign up for one of the Creative Cloud packages).

If you're concerned that version 6 might not be too far away another alternative is to download the free DNG converter and use that to create DNGs from your 7D2 files which LR 4 will be able to read. You can then upgrade at your leisure.

As Roger says, a LR5.x upgrade license and the latest release of LR5.7 is all that you need. In the past when a new version of LR is imminent third party vendors will start discounting the current release. Than hasn't happened yet. And that suggests to me the next version of LR is a few months off. Also in the past (no guarantee for the future) Adobe will publicly release beta versions for user testing. That hasn't happened either. Adobe has had policies in the past to offer free upgrades to those purchasing the old version within 30 days of the new version release.

Alternately, you could opt for the Photographers bundle subscription which includes PSCC2014 as well as LR and LR6 will be included in the subscription.

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm kind of old-fashioned in that I prefer to own the CD/DVD for posterity, hence the question about the upgrade from 5.0 > 5.7.

I have downloaded the DNG converter (gr8 idea Roger so that I can keep using 4.4 for now), but I'd like to bounce my thoughts on using it in my workflow (leisure-flow really !).
My assumptions, & please correct me if I'm wrong, or if there is an easier way to crack this nut is that I connect the 7D2 to the rMBP, & use Canon's DPP software to import the photos to the hard drive, using the same structure that normally occurs during an LR import. After this I'm not sure of my options & wether it's possible to keep the RAW files in their .CR2 format, or do I loose that once I convert them to DNG ? Is there any advantage long-term in keeping them as .CR2's ?

I haven't played around much in importing into LR from any other source apart from my 7D, so any assistance here will be gratefully received too. MTIA.

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm kind of old-fashioned in that I prefer to own the CD/DVD for posterity, hence the question about the upgrade from 5.0 > 5.7.

If you would like a CD that's no problem, but my point is you don't need to install the software from it. All you need is the licence key from inside the CD packaging. You'll save time by downloading and installing the latest version yourself rather than installing from CD and then having the upgrade process download and install it.

I have downloaded the DNG converter (gr8 idea Roger so that I can keep using 4.4 for now), but I'd like to bounce my thoughts on using it in my workflow (leisure-flow really !).
My assumptions, & please correct me if I'm wrong, or if there is an easier way to crack this nut is that I connect the 7D2 to the rMBP, & use Canon's DPP software to import the photos to the hard drive, using the same structure that normally occurs during an LR import. After this I'm not sure of my options & wether it's possible to keep the RAW files in their .CR2 format, or do I loose that once I convert them to DNG ? Is there any advantage long-term in keeping them as .CR2's ?

I haven't played around much in importing into LR from any other source apart from my 7D, so any assistance here will be gratefully received too. MTIA.

Well, there're a lot of differing opinions on the value of DNG vs RAW so you might get different views on that question. If I was in your situation I would manually copy the CR2 files from the camera or card reader using Finder/Explorer into the file structure I normally use, then create a folder alongside them and put the converted DNGs in there. Then when you get a version of LR that supports your camera you have all of the options still open to you.

If you obtain a CD, it will not likely be version 5.7.1 So you will sendup with a CD that does not have the update for the camera that you have. So,r upgrade license, the most expedient means to install LR is to go directly to Adobe and download the latest version. So, even if you have a CD it won't help you for the future. You can take the install file that you download from Adobe and burn you own dmg file onto the CD of your choice.

FWIW, optical disks are going the way of the floppy disk. Newer Macs do not have Optical drives.

Hi Cletus & Roger. Thank you both again for your replies. You have convinced me to go with an Update Licence when I do update.

So I'm game to try & process some DNGs using 4.4, but I haven't played around a lot with my Macs file structure etc, so I'm going to ask you to spell out exactly what I need to do in Finder or Lightroom to avoid cock-ups down the track. I'm more familiar with Windows Explorer, if there are any similarities ? I could probably bimble around & maybe get it right, but a little more knowledge shared will be gratefully appreciated.

I'm thinking that I don't need to 'create' the new folder in Lightroom, but would there be any advantage if I did ? Also, I have been tweaking the back-focus adjustment in the 7D MkII, so I took some photos today on both cameras (for comparison purposes) - so I will need to get the photos from the 7D MkII alongside the ones from the 7D, namely in /pictures/2015/2015-01-22

Also, are there any settings that I should use with the DNG converter, baring in mind that it makes sense to keep the original .CR2 files for use in LR down the track.

Thank you again for your valuable assistance.

A further question re the DNG converter. I would assume that I don't need to embed the original in the DNG (& increase the file size significantly !) if I'm keeping the CR2 RAW original for future use in LR5.X or LR6.X ?

Thanks.

No you don't need to, so it's your choice as to whether you want to. I certainly wouldn't.

In English that translates roughly to

Hello!, How to update LR3.6 to 5.7...

d.

Здравствуйте! Как обновить LR3,6 lj 5,7
Добро пожаловать на форум. К сожалению, это форум английском языке. Мы можем ответить на английском языке
Ответ машинный перевод.
Обновление до Lightroom 5.7 требуется лицензия на обновление и установка Lightroom 5.7 на вашем компьютере. После установки, откройте Lightroom 3 каталог в Lightroom 5.7 и приложение будет конвертировать ваш старый каталог с новой структурой каталога.

========== English ===========
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately this is an English Language forum. We can respond in English
The reply is a machine translation.
Upgrading to Lightroom 5.7 requires an upgrade license and installing Lightroom 5.7 on your computer. Once installed, Open your Lightroom 3 catalog in Lightroom 5.7 and the application will convert your old catalog to the new catalog structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back