• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Upgrading from LR5 to Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumo

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 5
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I bought Lightroom 5.7.1 some time ago and am still very happy with it.
In addition, I'm now considering subscribing to Adobe Photoshop but understand that I can only do so if I include a Lightroom upgrade.

No doubt LR 9.1 includes a number of positive upgrades but I have a strange question ...... what would happen if say in 3 or 4 years time I'm fed up with the monthly costs and cancel payments. Do I lose the ability to use Photoshop and more importantly Lightroom ie would I be unable to use Lightroom altogether ?

Thanks

Actually, you can subscribe only to Photoshop if you wish, though oddly that would cost more than if you subscribe to the Photography Plan which includes Photoshop and Lightroom Classic (as well as the Lightroom cloud apps). So that would be the cheapest option, and of course you wouldn't have to download and install Lightroom Classic, you could just install PS and carry on using LR5.7.1. I think that would be a mistake, LR5.7.1 is not likely to run forever on Windows 10 unless you stop doing the 6-monthly updates.

However, to answer your question about what happens if you stop your subscription at some point, you would lose the ability to use Photoshop completely (not surprisingly), however Lightroom Classic would continue to run in what is called "Reduced Functionality" mode....specifically you lose access to the Develop and Map modules, and any cloud syncing. You could still import new images, add metadata, export, print, etc.

Many thanks Jim for a really helpful answer. I'm very grateful.
You mention I would lose access to the Develop module - so am I right in thinking I'd be unable to do any editing ?
My final question - should I be expecting any problems when upgrading to a Lightroom Classic ?
Thanks again

should I be expecting any problems when upgrading to a Lightroom Classic ?
No. When you first run LR Classic, it will ask you for permission to upgrade your catalogue to the LR 9 format. Tell it OK, and it will create a new catalogue from your old one. The old one will be left in place, and the new one will likely be named with the old name with a "-2" appended. I've never had a problem with any of my upgrades.

No. When you first run LR Classic, it will ask you for permission to upgrade your catalogue to the LR 9 format. Tell it OK, and it will create a new catalogue from your old one. The old one will be left in place, and the new one will likely be named with the old name with a "-2" appended. I've never had a problem with any of my upgrades.
Many thanks Hal, you've been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back