Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
Hello,

I have a bit of a dilemma!

I am running old systems as they have been working well for me but now think I will have to bite the bullet and update and not sure which order to do them in.

I am presently operating a late 2013 MacBook Pro (16gb RAM) with Yosemite and Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS6.

I understand Yosemite is no longer being supported by Apple so need to upgrade. It seems sensible to go straight to High Sierra rather than go part way to El Capitan or Sierra, although I also understand LR5 may not work on this system. It seems I should also upgrade to LR Classic on the package with Photoshop (don’t use this much but would like to have it available).

Is this “chicken and the egg” in that which do I need to update first - LR or the Apple operating system as LR5 may not work with a High Sierra and LR Classic will not work with Yosemite?

I would be most grateful for any advice.

Lightroom 5 does still run under HS, though there'll likely be the odd gremlin here and there (for instance the problem with the Maps which a recent Google change caused), but certainly it should be OK to continue using after the upgrade of the HS, for a little while at least. So upgrading the OS first, then upgrade to LR Classic, should be fine.

Lightroom 5 does still run under HS, though there'll likely be the odd gremlin here and there.
I'm hearing quite a few crashing reports on LR5 with HS. I'd agree with the update order though.

Thank you for your replies Jim and Victoria. Think I will bite the bullet and update to High Sierra and then purchase the photographers package with Lightroom Classic and Photoshop for around £10pm. I liked the idea of owning the program like Lightroom 5 but it seems increasing pointless to purchase programs as the updates in operating systems means they only really have a short shelf life of about 3 years! at least the subscriptions will always update even if they have bugs to iron out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back