• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Upgraded Catalog to v10, now says catalog is corrupt and cannot repair and open

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelsea.carwile

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Okay, this is actually a two part question because I maybe have a fix...kinda. Here goes.

I'm a hobby photographer who just recently picked up my camera again so I wasn't really up to speed on new updates of Lightroom. I imported images on 4/4, started sorting through them, edited 2-3 and had no issues. Backed up normally and all was well. Last night when I opened my catalog it asked me to update and it updated and changed the name to "Same Name-v10" but when I went to exit Lightroom, it couldn't back up the catalog and gave me a box saying the catalog was corrupt and the option to repair, and then could not repair catalog. (I do have a backup from 4/4 which is another part to my question because I've never had to restore from a backup and am not sure the best way to go about it.)

Someone suggested I rename the catalog and try to open then. It opened right up, but does not backup when I exit Lightroom so clearly that is not the solution I'm hoping for. Any and all advice is welcome!

Short story:
1. Upgraded catalog is now corrupt and won't repair, changed name and it opened, but won't backup. Please help!
2. Correctly restoring from a backup (or how to backup this renamed catalog that will not backup when I exit now.)

Thank you!!!

There is a problem with v.10.2 on the Mac (and from what I see on this and other forums, apparently on certain versions of Windows 10 as well), running Mojave OS X v.10.14.6 (and perhaps other versions). Adobe is very helpful with support, but do not openly acknowledge there's a bug. Their recommendation is to revert (using the CC manager) to version 10.1.1 of Lightroom Classic. This operation may require uninstalling the current install of v.10.2 and then installing the earlier version. Adobe do allow access to earlier versions on the menu for the app in CC Manager. The advice of the Adobe tech was to continue to use v.10.1.1 until further notice, and "there's no difference" (thereby overlooking whatever bugs may have been corrected or new features added in v.10.2)... There was an implied hint that some future release will address "this problem" with catalog errors. Best I can offer...

There is a problem with v.10.2 on the Mac (and from what I see on this and other forums, apparently on certain versions of Windows 10 as well), running Mojave OS X v.10.14.6 (and perhaps other versions). Adobe is very helpful with support, but do not openly acknowledge there's a bug. Their recommendation is to revert (using the CC manager) to version 10.1.1 of Lightroom Classic. This operation may require uninstalling the current install of v.10.2 and then installing the earlier version. Adobe do allow access to earlier versions on the menu for the app in CC Manager. The advice of the Adobe tech was to continue to use v.10.1.1 until further notice, and "there's no difference" (thereby overlooking whatever bugs may have been corrected or new features added in v.10.2)... There was an implied hint that some future release will address "this problem" with catalog errors. Best I can offer...
Perhaps I have missed something but LrC v10.2 seems quite stable and bug free on MacOS 11.3. And I have’nt heard of any complaints with Win 10 or older versions of MacOS. Certainly not resulting in a corrupted catalog.

You advice to not use 10.2 because of a corrupt catalog is off the mark.

Adobe will tell you that they have never released a version that resulted in a corrupt catalog. Corrupt catalogs do occur but it is never the result of a buggy source code.

I'd respectfully suggest that what you missed were the details of my remarks. I said nothing about LRC 10.2 under Mac OS X 11.3. In fact, I am using LRC 10.2 under OS X 11.4 (now) without a problem on two other devices. My remarks were about Mojave 10.14.6 (and I did say "perhaps" other versions; which I think I can say without perjuring myself).

You also missed being privy to the "chat" that occurred while I was assisted by an Adobe Support technician, who worked with me for 30 minutes while we determined that even a reconstructed catalog with a different name produced the same result with that combination of Mac OS X (that is, Mojave) and LRC 10.2 for Mac. It was the Adobe Support staff that made the recommendation, concerning the use, for now, with an earlier version of LRC; he also did not say unequivocally that some future release would "correct" this problem. I can understand why Adobe would instruct support techs not to discuss future releases of their software or to make any definitive claims. I only repeated in my comment what he did say. If anyone is "off the mark," according to you, it would be with regard to the specific advice to me with my particular configuration. I thought that was clear. But I gather when the matter met with your personal reading, it wasn't.

I will continue using LRC 10.1.1 with that particular device while Mojave is running on it – a requirement because later versions of the Mac OS X are no longer supported by Apple on that particular hardware.

I am sorry I can't help with erroneous inferences drawn from my remarks. For what it's worth, though we didn't discuss Windows platform problems (not relevant, obviously, to my problem) the tech made clear that others have experienced the same problems with what are, apparently, only seeming instances of "corruption" of the catalog. There was no discussion (and no remarks from me here on this forum) about Adobe source code. That, on your part, is a factitious observation and has nothing to do with anything I wrote here.

But thank you for your interpretation of what, demonstrably, I did say. I will consider your critique with the seriousness it deserves.

I'd respectfully suggest that what you missed were the details of my remarks. …If anyone is "off the mark," according to you, it would be with regard to the specific advice to me with my particular configuration. I thought that was clear. But I gather when the matter met with your personal reading, it wasn't.
I think you mis-read my comments because I did address earlier version of MacOS. The OP is a Windows user and your remarks are at best misleading and simply do not speak to that Window user’s issue.

When I get som time I will attempt to address the OPs issue and work with them to resolve the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me out!

I recently reached out to a photography professor I know and he got me all straightened out! (I have no idea what exactly what he had me do...delete some files and rename some things as well as delete 2 years of backups I no longer needed!)

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me out!

I recently reached out to a photography professor I know and he got me all straightened out! (I have no idea what exactly what he had me do...delete some files and rename some things as well as delete 2 years of backups I no longer needed!)

I was just coming back to this to see if we could get some more detail.

I’m glad someone was able to get you sorted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back